Current Events and Announcements
MOVED Creates Dance Response
When cancer patient Deborah Cohan asked others to dance for healing, our student organization MOVED was on it! Cohan danced before her double mastectomy surgery and requested that friends and family post videos of themselves dancing in reponse.
2013 American Dance Therapy Association Conference Highlights
This year’s ADTA conference was full of fun and achievement:
- Our research coordinator, Laura Downey, won an Outstanding Achievement Award, and alumna Ande Welling won the Leader of Tomorrow Award.
- Alumna Crystal Smith was inducted to the Board of Directors as the Member at Large for the central region.
- Faculty Susan Imus and Stacey Hurst, and alumna Emma Barton, performed TED-talk style lectures for promotional and educational purposes, to appear on YouTube.
- Five Columbia students presented at the Research Poster Session: Julie Brannen, Ashley Fargnoli, Eva Glaser, Maria Ninos, and Anson Relick (scholarship recipient).
- Five Columbia faculty, and one retired faculty member, provided workshops during the conference.
- We had distinguished guests from Nigeria at our alumni gathering who were able to witness our Brooklyn karaoke tradition at the Columbia alumni reception!
See photos of these events and more here.
Thesis student featured in Esperanza Magazine
Congratulations to student Karissa Martens and faculty member Jessica Young. Both were interviewed in an article about the arts and healing in Esperanza, a magazine about depression and anxiety.
Sondra Malling, alumna of the MA program in Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling and the Graduate Laban Certificate in Movement Analysis, had an article published in the American Journal of Dance Therapy: Choreography and Performance with Deaf Adults who have Mental Illness: Culturally Affirmative Participatory Research. This work was an extension of her master's thesis.
GL-CMA Alumna Receives Prestigious Award
Chris Johnson, professor and chair of the department of theater, dance and media studies and director of dance at Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin, and a 2007 graduate of our GL-CMA program, competed in the New Prague Dance Festival last week. Her piece Chelonia placed 2nd in the category of Contemporary Dance and won 1st place for choreography.
Chair Represents US during Korean Dance Therapy Association Conference
Susan Imus travelled to Seoul, South Korea in late June 2013 to present the Shannon Hardy Making Connections suicide prevention program to colleagues at the Korean Dance Therapy Association Conference: “HEALING, CONNECTION, HARMONY through Dance Therapy." She was the US representative of DMT on an international panel that included 12 different countries.
While in South Korea, she met with students, faculty, and administrators of the Seoul Institute of the Arts and introduced dance/movement therapy. She was also interviewed for a radio show, 1013 MainStreet TBSeFM, which aired in July. Listen to the recording here!
See more photos here.
Library Display on Creative Arts Therapies
Check out the library's informational display in its lobby, a "hat tip" to the expansion of our department!
Student/Faculty Dance Concert
For the 14th year in a row, the department will hold its student/faculty benefit concert, raising funds for the JGS and Warren Lamb scholarships. We hope you can make it!
ADTA Scholarship Awarded at Research Celebration
Anson Relick received sponsorship to attend the American Dance Therapy Association conference in late October. She will present her research, entitled A Journey Through the Embodiment of Aggression, at the conference research and poster session.
See older news here!