English as an Additional Language
The English as an Additional Language (EAL) Program offers curricular and extra-curricular support to Columbia College students whose core literacy instruction occurred in languages other than English through specialized course offerings and individual tutoring. “International” sections of Writing and Rhetoric I and II, College Reading, and Oral Expression are specifically designed to serve a multilingual cohort of students, to build from the international perspectives students bring to the classroom, and to offer EAL support with small class sizes. These courses meet the college-wide LAS Core Curriculum requirements in Writing and Rhetoric and Oral Communication.
Students are advised to take EAL/ International courses based on their iBT (or comparable exam) scores and/or results from the COMPASS test. Students who have home/heritage languages other than English and who have been in the United States for less than 6-8 years should also enroll in the international sections of the courses. All of the courses share goals, objectives, and course design with non-international sections, but they are designed to specifically address the needs of EAL students in the following ways:
- International sections are taught by faculty who specialize in working with EAL students.
- International sections limit enrollment to 12 students so that teachers are able to spend more time with individual students.
- International sections build from the diverse perspectives and cultural and linguistic experiences that student bring with them and provide targeted instruction for the cultural and linguistic challenges that students may
- face in the US classroom.
- International sections of Writing and Rhetoric and Oral Expression provide weekly, one-hour tutoring sessions with EAL specialists in the Columbia College Writing Center.
The Academic EAL Program is part of the college-level, academic program at Columbia College, and does not have a separate application for admissions. Visit our International Admissions page for more information.
Faculty can find resources for working with international students here (link to resources for faculty page).
Suzanne Blum Malley, Director of EAL
Phone: (312) 369-8111
Fax: (312) 369-8001
Suzanne Blum Malley
Associate Professor of English /
Director of EAL
Columbia College Chicago