I work in the consumer insights and strategic planning arena, helping clients and students build and optimize their brands. More specifically, I specialize in online qualitative research, moderating online group discussions, immersion studies, ideation sessions and facilitating online communities (MROCs).
First Real Career
I’m fortunate to have selected a career path that I love. My first real job was with Synovate, a large quantitative Market Research organization. Now more than 25 years later, I’m still researching and uncovering consumer insights which are used to create new products and optimize current brands.
- · Helped Columbia College students create their own personal brands, find secure jobs, and start careers in their field of choice.
- · Worked on qualitative research projects for the world’s top brands.
- · Had articles published in national and international magazines and journals.
- · Spoke to and educated peers about conducting qualitative research among children and teens at several national and international marketing conferences.
What Drives Your Professional Career
My career is driven by my natural curiosity about people and why they do what they do. I’m worse than a four year old when it comes to asking the question “why?”. I love to dig deep to explore and understand the rational, emotional and psychological reasons of why we think, feel, and behave the way we do.
Advice or Help To Students
1) Sunscreen, always. Flip flops, never.
2) Turn off your mobile devices and pay attention to what’s going on around you.
3) Market or carry yourself as if you are a brand seeking investors…make your connections with others all about how you can benefit them, not about how they can benefit you.