In the past decade, I was director of corporate communications for Nicor, Inc. in Naperville and became an expert in crisis communications, navigating the company through a series of crises over a five-year period. I then switched into the not-for-profit side of public relations for Opportunity International, a microfinance organization.
Currently, I have a consulting PR business on the side and I also have taught at DePaul University since 2011.What was your first “real-world” job?
I was a newspaper reporter for the Sandusky Ohio Journal.
- Initiating PR programs that resulted in saving children’s lives
- Managing 25 people on the McDonald’s account for Golin Harris
- Learning integrated marketing PR for a client at Procter and Gamble
Love of the public relations business
- Get an internship. Get another Internship.
- Explore different facets of marketing, advertising, and PR
- Become a better writer