Allen Turner Award
2014 Allen Turner Award in Music Composition: Solo
The Allen Turner Award in Music Composition has been established by Columbia’s Chairman of the Board emeritus, Allen Turner. The award seeks to identify the most promising composition students of the year and distinguish them with a cash award and a performance of the 1st prize awarded piece. The topic for this year’s award is Solo.
- 1st prize: $ 450
- 2nd prize $ 250
- 3rd prize $ 150
- Plus: performance of winning compositions at the last convocation of Spring semester 2014.
Open to all full-time Columbia College Chicago undergraduate students.
To submit an original score for anonymous consideration, go to SlideRoom and select the "2014 Allen Turner Award: Solo" option (account creation and/or sign-in required).
Using the SlideRoom application, participants will be required to provide provide their name, Oasis ID, email and score information, and upload one PDF with an original, titled score. Participants must not include their name on the score itself. Scores will be judged anonymously by members of the composition faculty, and only after the winning score is chosen will the name be provided in order to contact the composer.
- Scores must be in PDF format. Please attached all pages of score in a single PDF. You may submit only one score for consideration.
- Audio recording is helpful but not required; MIDI recordings are an acceptable audio format.
- Instrumentation: solo acoustic instrument (no voice solo or computer pieces).
- Do not include your name or any part of your name on the score.
- Score duration: up to 5 minutes
February 28, 2014 - 5 PM CST
Incomplete applications will be rejected. The selection jury reserves the right not to make an award.
Submissions will be provided to composition faculty members and reviewed anonymously. Winners will be announced and notified by email on March 17, 2014.
For questions regarding composition requirements, contact Ilya Levinson at email@example.com or 312-369-6188. For assistance with SlideRoom, please contact Dani Schafer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-369-6156.