Mission and Goals
The mission of the Department of Theatre at Columbia College Chicago is to provide undergraduate students with a comprehensive education in the practices and processes of creating theatre and live performance, within the context of higher learning.
• To provide students with a superior professional practical training in all aspects of theatre arts
• To provide students with opportunities to practice their growing expertise through a wide range of performance applications.
• To expose students to international theatre practices and performances through workshops and residencies in Chicago and abroad
• To engage students in interdisciplinary collaboration with other disciplines in the arts and sciences
• To facilitate a climate of critical thinking and self-reflection that enables students to contribute their best work in collaboration with others.
• To empower students to create their own body of work as authors of the culture of their time.
These goals are achieved through:
• The provision of programs in Acting, Directing, Design, Playwriting, and Musical Theatre, taught by a faculty and staff who are working professional artists in Chicago Theatre and beyond.
• An emphasis on participation in theatrical production giving students opportunities to develop their craft and artistic sensibilities through the process of creating performance.
• Individual faculty advisors who provide each student with support and guidance in the shaping of their academic and artistic careers.
• Partnerships with other departments, professional arts organizations, community-based organizations, and international institutions, to provide a breadth of experiences in theatre and performance.
• A network of internship opportunities to provide students with professional experience working in theatres and arts institutions while studying.
• A commitment to continuous assessment and development of the department’s programs through the active practice of the scholarship of teaching and learning.
• The active participation of the Department in the artistic life of the City of Chicago.