For more information about Columbia’s transfer credit evaluation, click here.Transfer Students can log on to Oasis and check their Advising Guide to review credits that may have been applied to your major. Click here to log on using your Oasis ID and password. Click the Students tab followed by the Advising Guide link.
New Stew – New Student Performance Projects
New Stew encourages incoming Freshmen and new transfer students to jump into performance mode by participating in one of four shows created specifically for them. New Stew Performance Projects welcome incoming students into the Columbia theatre community while showcasing their abilities to everyone in the department.
• Casts for each production are between 14 to 20 actors; except for the Musical-Theatre Showcase which is huge.
• All roles are about the same size and are as race- and gender-neutral as possible.
• The running length of each show is to be about 45 minutes
• The rehearsal period is three-to-four weeks.
• Performances run for three-to-five days in the Classic or Getz Theatres.
Who can audition?
The New Stew shows are for Freshmen and transfer actors only.
• New Stew show #1 is a musical theatre showcase limited to Freshmen only; and any incoming transfer student 31 or fewer credits from any other college
• New Stew Shows #2, #3, #4 are open to 1st semester transfers and Freshmen.
• Students may only perform in one New Stew show.
• Students may audition for a New Stew show only if they have not performed in any other play produced by the Columbia College Chicago Theatre Department.
Show #1: The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, by Peter Handke, adapted by Jennifer Markowitz
Auditions: Very early in the Fall semester.
Performances: October 8-11, 2012
Show #2: A Musical Theatre Review, directed by Ashton Byrum
Auditions: Very early in the Fall semester
Performances: October 15-19, 2012
Show #3: Living Newspaper, directed by Michelle Milne
Probable auditions: Late November or early December
(Rehearse during January break)
Performances: February 25-28, 2013
Show #4: Winner of The Fresh Play Prize Competition, directed by Kathleen Perkins
The Fresh Play Prize is an annual competition for Columbia College Chicago. Plays are written by playwriting students specifically for the Freshmen Performance Project. This is a great opportunity to perform in a premier of an original ensemble play! Cast members will work closely with the playwright present in rehearsals: rewrites and tweaks will be an energetic part of the rehearsal process.
Probable auditions: March
Performances: May 6-9, 2013