IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING PAYROLL FOR THE MONTH OF MAY 2012
Earlier this month the College announced that due to the NATO summit all College offices and buildings will be closed on Friday, May 18th and Monday, May 21st. Due to the uncertainly of events surrounding NATO the Office of Payroll is altering the normal time-line for the payroll process. This change is required to prevent any disruptions in the payment process and ensure that all staff will be paid as expected. Please note that the pay dates for May 2012 will remain May 15 and May 31.
In order to ensure that payroll is processed on May 15, 2012 and May 31, 2012 the Office of Payroll has developed a special schedule for the month of May 2012 to accommodate the announced school closing May 18 and 21, 2012, and provide for contingency plans in case additional closings are necessary or other emergencies arise.
In addition to the special schedule, the Office of Payroll is requesting time keepers and approvers to ensure, before May 1, 2012, that they have remote access to the time entry system.
The revised payroll processing scheduled for May 2012 along with additional instructions and directions from the Office of Payroll are provided below.
May 15, 2012 PAYROLL:
- MAY 02, 2012 – on or before May 02, 2012:
- Hourly timesheets for the period April 15 – 28, 2012 must be entered. Any time entered after this date will be included on the May 31, 2012 pay.
- All additional pay requests, salary adjustments and changes must be entered or sent to Payroll. Any additional pay requests, adjustments or changes submitted after this date will be included on the May 31, 2012 pay.
- MAY 11, 2012
- COMPLETE PAYROLL PROCESSING MAY 11, 2012. The May 15, 2012 payroll will be completed and fully processed on Friday May 11, 2012 for a pay date of MAY 15, 2012. The May 15, 2012 payroll must be completed and processed on May 11, 2012 because money must be transmitted to the banks for direct deposits at least two days before the payroll date.
MAY 31, 2012 Payroll
- MAY 23, 2012 – on or before May 23, 2012:
- Hourly timesheets for the period April 29 – May 19, 2012 must be entered on-site or remotely. Any time entered after this date will be included on the June 15, 2012 pay.
- All additional pay requests, salary adjustments and other changes must be entered or sent to Payroll. Any additional pay requests, adjustments or changes submitted after this date will be included on the June 15, 2012 pay.
- MAY 25, 2012
- COMPLETE PAYROLL PROCESSING MAY 25, 2012. The May 31, 2012 payroll will be completed and fully processed on Friday May 25, 2012 for a pay date of May 31, 2012. The May 31, 2012 payroll must be completed and processed on May 25, 2012 because money must be transmitted to the banks for direct deposits at least two days before the payroll date and Monday May 28, 2012 is a holiday.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (and other important information):
What is “remote access” to the time entry system?
“Remote access” is considered access to the IRIS portal through the internet from your home or a location not on the College campus.
Why is “remote access” to the time entry system important?
If you cannot access your office or another College building you will not be able to enter time, additional pay requests or approve these items.
Will the pay dates change for the month of May?
There will be no change in the pay dates for the month of May 2012. Pay will be issued on May 15 and May 31. Payroll will be able to process pay, however, the amounts that will be paid is contingent on the time entry by the time keepers and approval by approvers.
How do I test “remote access” to the system?
Before the end of April 2012 you should attempt to access the IRIS portal from your home computer and navigate through all the screens that you use to enter time, approve time entry and any other function that you normal process.
What if my testing fails and I cannot access the IRIS portal from a remote site?
You should contact IT Client Services at extension 7001 immediately so that your access issues can be resolved, or an alternate time enterer or approver established.
What if I don’t have a home computer or access to the internet outside of my office?
You should immediately notify your supervisor and arrange for an alternate or back-up to be in position to enter time or make approvals from a remote location for the May payrolls.
What if I receive my salary via check and not direct deposit, when will I receive my paycheck?
You will receive your paycheck as usual. It will be mailed to you per the usual schedule.
What should I do about time entry or approval if the College offices do not open as scheduled on May 22, 2012?
You should monitor the Office of Payroll website and look for “Announcements”. The link to the Payroll website is: https://iris.colum.edu/controller/payroll/default.aspx
(Alternatively you can find the Office of Payroll website through the IRIS portal as follows: in IRIS in the left-side column under “Departments” click on “Controller”; then “Payroll”)
The Office of Payroll will provide updated instructions in the event of unforeseen closings or other emergencies. There are a number of potential scenarios that could impact the payroll process during the NATO summit and the time leading up to the summit. The Office of Payroll is working with various offices throughout the College, including Safety and Security, Information Technology and Controller’s Office to ensure that payroll will be processed as expected.