How To Apply
When applying to one of the EDUCATION programs—either the MAT in Art Education or the MAT in Elementary Education—you will need to submit the following:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee.
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY: Compose a self-assessment essay that clearly and succinctly describes why you want to become a teacher at this stage of your life. Specifically address why the Visual Arts or Elementary Education program appeals to you. Also describe why you selected Columbia College Chicago as the place in which to fulfill your goal to be a teacher. Please also discuss your understanding of the teacher as a creative leader, indicating what this means in terms of interaction with students, colleagues, families and communities beyond the school. Include descriptions of any teaching or other experiences with children/young people
you have had.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Note that recommenders are notified via email once the online application process has begun.)
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from each and every college attended after high school.
- MAT applicants are also required to present passing scores on one of the tests of basic skills listed below. The test must have been taken within the last 10 years.
- ACT Plus Writing (minimum score of 22);
- SAT composite (mathematics and critical reading) with the writing subtest (minimum score of 1030); or
- Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) with passing scores in each of four sub-areas.
If you have not taken any of these tests within the last 10 years and received a passing score, the Education Department strongly recommends you take the ACT Plus Writing.
If you will use an ACT or SAT test score, contact Sheila Brady (email@example.com) for information on how to proceed. (For more information, you may want to go to http://www.isbe.net)
The TAP is administered by the Illinois Licensure Testing System. See http://www.il.nesinc.com for information and registration. If using scores from this test, include a copy of a passing score report with your application, or submit it to the Education Department after passing the test.
Additional Requirements for Elementary Education, MAT (K-9)
Those applying for the MAT in Elementary Education are required to have a concentration of 18 undergraduate hours in one discipline, which includes a minimum of 9 credit hours of upper division work.
Additional Requirements for Visual Arts Education, MAT (K-12)
Those applying for the MAT in Visual Arts Education are required to have 32 undergraduate credit hours in the visual arts, which includes a minimum of 12 credit hours of upper division work. A work sample may be required.
If you are applying to be a student-at-large (available for the Education program only), please contact David Marts at 312-369-7942 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.