How To Apply
When applying to the Film & Video - Creative Producing MFA program, you will need to submit the following materials:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY in which you should address the following:
- Distinguish between a line producer and a creative producer.
- Expand on how your creativity can impact your work as a producer
- Why are you the right person to pursue this degree?
- If you enroll in the program, what do you see yourself doing in 10 years?
- Summarize in one paragraph the style of film that you are driven to make.
- From a past experience, describe how you have demonstrated leadership.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Note that recommenders are notified via email once the online application process has begun.)
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from any and all colleges/universities attended
- WORK SAMPLE: Your work sample will consist of two parts:
Case Study Exercise: In two pages or less, discuss the strengths and weaknesses of our short film sample. If you were able to remake the film, what would you do to improve it?
Our film sample can be found here on Vimeo
Visualization Project: Construct a narrative story in 8-12 frames; you can draw the pictures, shoot them with a still camera, copy them from the Internet, use a still from a video. The source is not important. What is important is that you use the pictures to tell a clear, cohesive story with a beginning, middle, and end.
- TEXT, TITLES, SHOT DESCRIPTIONS, OR CAPTIONS are NOT allowed. THIS IS NOT A STORYBOARD.
- Use your discretion with explicit imagery; projects will be shared with faculty reviewers.
- Do not use more than two frames per 8.5x11 page.
Submit both your Case Study Exercise and Visualisaztion Project to us online at columgrad.slideroom.com.* For good image quality and fast upload, your image files should be sized around 1024x768 pixels at 72 dpi. Permitted file types and size limits are:
> IMAGES: .jpg, .png, .gif — 5 MB per file maximum
> PDF DOCS: .pdf — 10 MB per file maximum
Our Slideroom portal offers additional instructions for submitting work. For technical assistance, visit SlideRoom Support.
*SlideRoom charges users a $10 transaction fee. By using SlideRoom, applicants avoid the expense of copying and mailing their work samples and avoid the risk of corrupted files, lost mail, broken discs, or cross-platform issues. Additionally, applicants can rest assured that the Graduate Committee on Admissions will experience their portfolio exactly how they intended.
PLEASE NOTE: For those who reach the final stage of the admissions process, an interview may be required, usually in March. The department will contact those selected for the interview directly. All students who are accepted into the Film & Video - Creative Producing MFA program are required to complete a three-week pre-semester in August.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.