How To Apply
When applying to the CREATIVE WRITING - FICTION MFA program, you will need to submit the following:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY: The essay gives us an opportunity to get to know you. Please discuss your reading and writing background, why you want to study fiction writing at Columbia College Chicago, and your professional goals. Tell us a story about yourself.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Letters of recommendation should be from individuals familiar with your fiction writing ability and should comment on such.) Note that recommenders are notified via email once the online application process has begun.
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from any and all colleges or universities attended
- WORK SAMPLE:
- Fiction Work Sample: 15 pages of manuscript. Must be in narrative prose, as the committee will not accept poetry, plays or screenplays.
- Expository Prose: 15 pages of expository manuscript. Applicants may submit any form of professional writing, although essays written for college courses are preferred, if recent.
Work Sample Submission Method: You may upload two files to our online portfolio submission portal at columgrad.slideroom.com.* Permitted file type and size limits are:
> WRITTEN DOCS: .pdf — 10 MB per file maximum
Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting work. For technical assistance, visit SlideRoom Support. Please direct any other questions about work samples to the Graduate Office at 312-369-7260.
*SlideRoom charges users a $5 transaction fee. By using SlideRoom, applicants avoid the expense of copying and mailing their work samples and avoid the risk of corrupted files, lost mail, broken discs, or cross-platform issues. Additionally, applicants can rest assured that the Graduate Committee on Admissions will experience their portfolio exactly how they intended.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.