PLEASE NOTE: At this time, students interested in the combined MFA/MA degree program may only submit an application for the stand-alone MFA. If admitted as an MFA, candidates may inquire with their advisor about the option of pursuing the combined degree.
When applying to the CREATIVE WRITING - FICTION MFA program, you will need to submit the following:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY: The essay gives us an opportunity to get to know you. Please discuss your reading and writing background, why you want to study fiction writing at Columbia College Chicago, and your professional goals. Tell us a story about yourself. If you are interested in pursuing the combined MFA/MA, you should also discuss your goals in teaching writing at the secondary or college level.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Letters of recommendation should be from individuals familiar with your fiction writing ability and should comment on such.)
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from any and all colleges or universities attended
- WORK SAMPLE:
- Fiction Work Sample: 15 pages of manuscript. Must be in narrative prose, as the committee will not accept poetry, plays or screenplays.
- Expository Prose: 15 pages of expository manuscript. Applicants may submit any form of professional writing, although essays written for college courses are preferred, if recent.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be prompted to upload separate fiction and an expository prose .pdf or .doc work samples from within the online application only after you've completed submitting the online application and paid the application fee.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.