How To ApplyWhen applying to the CREATIVE WRITING - POETRY MFA program, you will need to submit the following:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY: Please use this opportunity to let us know more about your background, especially as it relates to your study of poetry. You may choose to discuss your potential as well as your preparation for creative and scholarly growth in a graduate program.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Note that recommenders are notified via email once the online application process has begun.)
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from any and all colleges or universities attended
- WORK SAMPLE: Applicants must submit ten pages of poetry. A poem may be more than one page, however, please do not put more than one poem on each page. The total should equal 10 pages. Written submissions should be typed.
Work Sample Submission Method: You may upload one file to our online portfolio submission portal at columgrad.slideroom.com.* Permitted file type and size limits are:
> WRITTEN DOCS: .pdf — 10 MB per file maximum
Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting work. For technical assistance, visit SlideRoom Support. Please direct any other questions about work samples to the Graduate Office at 312-369-7260.
*SlideRoom charges users a $5 transaction fee. By using SlideRoom, applicants avoid the expense of copying and mailing their work samples and avoid the risk of corrupted files, lost mail, broken discs, or cross-platform issues. Additionally, applicants can rest assured that the Graduate Committee on Admissions will experience their portfolio exactly how they intended.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.