Apply Now Undergraduate Admissions

As an international student, you will need an F-1 or J-1 student visa to enter the United States to study. You can apply for the visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, using the SEVIS I-20 Certificate of Eligibility or DS-2019 form issued by Columbia College Chicago.

Other items which may be required by the embassy or consulate include the following:


Related Documents

Evidence of financial support for the period of time and amount indicated on the SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 form


Acceptance letter from Columbia College Chicago


Valid passport for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.


Evidence of English proficiency


Proof that you have a permanent residence outside the U.S.


A nonimmigrant visa application DS-156 together with a Form DS-158. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. Application(s) are also available at the American Consulate Office.


Form DS-158

Form DS-157

Payment of $200 USD - I 901 SEVIS fee (Payment of $180 USD - Exchange students/visiting professors and scholars applying for the J-1)


One 2x2 photograph. For details visit U.S. Department of State photo requirements.



If approved, the consular officer will place a visa in your passport. If you receive a multiple-entry visa, you may use it to reenter the U.S. up to the date of its expiration as long as you have a valid SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019.

© 2014 Columbia College Chicago All Rights Reserved / 600 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605 / Map It!

Maintained by: eyi