Who evaluates Photography Department transfer courses?
Photography faculty and academic staff are responsible for Photography transfer course equivalency, substitution, or waiver decisions.
600 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 1200
Portfolio reviews and exams take place at Transfer Orientation for all incoming Photography transfer students, on the morning of Transfer Orientation day, before the program begins.
Student asked to bring:
Please bring the following with you to your orientation session if you are planning to transfer in coursework:
Foundations of Photography I
15 digital files (a mix of black & white and color), which exhibit a good contrast range, a full tonal range for black & white images, and accurate color. Files should be jpegs at 100dpi that are at least 1500 pixels on the longer side.
Images should demonstrate:
- An understanding of basic camera controls including shutter speed / time & aperture / depth of field.
- A basic understanding of the usage of light and space in their images.
- A basic understanding of framing and composition.
- A portion of the images should portray a cohesive theme or idea.
Students should be able to discuss their visual choices and the meaning of their images.
A written exam is also required in addition to the portfolio review. In this exam students will be required to show that they understand basic photographic concepts such as camera functions, exposure values and control, composition, and Adobe Lightroom software.
Digital Imaging Courses:
- Digital prints are not reviewed. Students must take a Photoshop proficiency exam to transfer in coursework.
- 15-20 black & white silver gelatin darkroom prints or archival inkjet prints (one cohesive project is preferred)
Art & Design Courses:
Courses that do not need portfolio review:
- Fundamentals of 2-D Design
- History of Art II
For Complete Portfolio Review Requirements, please see
By the end of the portfolio review session you will know what courses will be submitted for an equivalency, substitution, or waiver. This will be reflected in your Oasis Advising Guide within 10 days.
Students will receive:
The Office of Degree Evaluation will issue a new or updated Transfer Evaluation Report within a week of receipt of the online Course Equivalency, Substitution, and Waiver Form from the department.
Please contact the Office of Degree Evaluation