International Student Health Insurance
Dates of coverage: August 23, 2013 – August 22, 2014 with extended coverage in July to cover you while you travel!
In an effort to provide quality health insurance at an affordable cost to Columbia College Chicago’s international students and scholars, the Office of International Student Affairs is pleased to announce that the college is offering an International Student Sickness and Accident Plan by the Lewer Agency.
Health care in the U.S. can be quite complicated and costly. A major accident or illness can create related expenses of $10,000 - $100,000 very quickly and very easily. If you do not have medical insurance to help cover some of the costs, you will be required to pay for these expenses.
With this in mind, Columbia College Chicago implemented a mandatory health insurance coverage requirement starting in the Fall of 2001. All international students are automatically enrolled in the insurance plan. Insurance coverage for family members is available at an additional cost through enrollment at the Office of International Student Affairs. If you currently have insurance from your home country, you may apply for an insurance waiver. Submitting a waiver does not mean that it will be approved. You will be notified by email if your waiver has been approved or denied.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Student Affairs at your earliest convenience.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy semester!
Office of International Student Affairs
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE
2013 - 2014 Academic Year
Being sick or injured away from home can be a stressful experience and more so if students don't understand their health care options. Health care in the United States is very different from what you may be used to back home. For one thing, costs related to health care are expensive. Illnesses and accidents are always unexpected. There are basically two options to cover health care costs for college students: the LewerMark Sickness and Accident Plan designed by Lewer Agency, Inc. for Columbia College Chicago's international students, or your family/personal health plan.
The LewerMark Sickness and Accident Plan provides coverage from August 23, 2013 to August 22, 2014, with extended coverage beginning July 24, 2013! Lewer’s Extended Coverage policy automatically provides coverage up to 30 days in advance to newly enrolled students and 30 days following the completion of educational program or graduation, as long as the student remains in the United States.
In addition, this plan offers students coverage should they wish to travel anywhere in the U.S. and overseas, except in their home country.
Highlights of the plan include:
- $500,000 Maximum Benefit per condition
- $0 Deductible per policy year
- Trustmark Group Benefits – CIGNA PPO Network - 100% In Network;
80% Out-of-Network Co-Insurance
- Co-Payments- $15
- Physician, mental health; substance abuse, chiropractic; physical therapy;
acupuncture; and occupational therapy visits
- Annual Out of Pocket Maximum - $2,000
- Physical Exam/Wellness Women’s Wellness exam – 100% after co-pay
- Prescription Drug Benefit through Express Scripts – Covered at 50% at retail
pharmacy – no annual limit per policy year
- Careington Dental and Vision Benefit – provides a discount network for dental and
vision services. (Separate membership cards will be provided)
Regardless of your insurance plan, we are here to help you understand and utilize your policy. Remember to carry your insurance identification card with you at all times. If you do not present a valid health insurance I.D. card at a doctor's office, you will be expected to pay in full, at the time of service. Your insurance I.D. card is just as important to you as your school I.D. card, or driver's license. Get into the habit of keeping it with you.
Plan Costs and Dates
Annual premium: $1200 with coverage dates from August 23, 2013 to August 22, 2014, with extended coverage starting July 24, 2013!
- Annual: Aug. 23, 2013 – Aug. 22, 2014: $1200 divided into 2 equal payments of $600.
- Students’ OASIS accounts will automatically be billed in two equal installments of $600.00 for the Fall 2013 (Aug. 23-Feb. 22) and Spring 2014 (Feb. 23 – Aug. 22) academic terms. Students will be automatically enrolled for the insurance unless a waiver form has been submitted to and approved by the Office of International Student Affairs
- Fall Semester only: $500 for coverage from Aug. 23 – Dec. 31
When to Pay
- Payment for the Fall 2013 semester is due by Friday, September 20, 2013
How to Pay
There are two ways to make your insurance payment.
- In person: Bring a check or money order made payable to “Columbia College Chicago” to the Cashier’s Window located on the 3rd floor of the 600 S. Michigan Avenue building. Be sure to write your OASIS number on the check, and indicate that it is a payment for “International Student Health Insurance.” Keep the receipt for your records.
- Online: Visit the Student Financial Services http://www.colum.edu/Student_Financial_Services/index.php website for payment information. Note: Insurance payments made by credit card can only be paid through CCCPay. Credit card use on CCCPay is limited to MasterCard, Discover and American Express.
Petition for a Waiver
If you do not want to be enrolled in the health insurance plan, you must apply for an insurance waiver. There is no application, but you must provide the following information. Please note that an application for an insurance waiver is not automatically approved. You will be notified by email if your waiver has been approved or denied.
- Provide an “Explanation of Benefits” of your insurance coverage. This must include
- Dates of coverage
- Benefits provided
- Policy and “Explanation of Benefits” must be in English.
- The waiver petition and supporting information must be submitted to the Office of International Student Affairs by the deadline indicated below!
Waivers must be approved to avoid being charged for the insurance.
- Fall 2013 semester: Friday, September 13, 2013
All questions regarding the International Student Insurance should be directed to the Office of International Student Affairs at (312) 369-7458, by fax: (312) 369-8465 or via email: email@example.com.