LGBTQ Office of Culture & Community
Welcome to the LGBTQ Office of Culture and Community’s Official website! Your go to place for all things rainbow and wonderful at Columbia College Chicago. Here you'll find resource links, calendar dates and announcements. Be sure to drop by often to see what we're up to.
- Providing exciting and lively programs featuring queer arts, culture and politics which, initiate community dialogue, connection and creativity amongst students, staff and faculty.
- Strengthening and stimulating Columbia College’s queer community of leaders, thinkers and teachers by building ties between queer cultural life and queer academic thought on campus.
- Collaborating with student organizations to develop programs and activities for LGBTQA students and to advocate for increased visibility of gay and trans issues on campus.
- Offering support groups, networks and spaces for LGBTQA students to find safe, nurturing and celebratory interactions and community.
- Working with the College’s departments and offices to increase awareness of, and sensitivity to, the LGBTQA student body.
- Organizing the LGBTQ and Ally staff and faculty organizations to create networks, relations and programs as a means to build a vibrant queer and trans community at Columbia College.
The office also works actively with the Common Ground, the LGBTQIA student organization, a group that serves as a family away from home for many of our students. Common Ground meets regularly every Monday at 1pm in the multipurpose room of the Multicultural Affairs Center located at 618 S. Michigan Avenue, 4th floor and again on Fridays at 2pm in The Loft located at 916 S. Wabash, 4th floor. In partnership with the office, the organization coordinates a variety of community building, political and social programs throughout the year that supports fellow students in their academic and professional pursuits.