Join our Peer Support Program!
Peer Support Program Mission
The mission of the Peer Support Program is to increase the success and retention rates of first-year minority and underrepresented Columbia College Chicago students, by connecting them with upper-class peer mentors. Peer mentors coordinate opportunities for students to become acclimated to the campus and Chicago area, as well as to develop their personal, academic, social and cultural experiences through programming and guidance.
Are you a new student looking for a little help and guidance? Read on to enroll in our Peer Support Program!
Starting your college experience can be somewhat overwhelming, and many successful students benefit from having a mentor to guide them in this process. So if you are a new, incoming student, enroll in our Peer Support Program!
* receive individual support from an upper-class peer mentor
* be placed in a family cluster of 10 fellow mentees
* connect with offices and programs across campus
* attend social and educational events to enhance your first-year experience
* develop positive relationships that can last a lifetime
Requirements for Mentees
- Be a first-year student (freshman or transfer standing)
- Be available to attend Peer Support Program events on Tuesdays from 12 – 1pm during the Fall 2012 semester
- Be in touch with your mentor at least every two weeks (in person, phone, or email)
- Have a sincere interest in developing a relationship that supports your efforts towards graduation
- Attend the Peer Support Program Orientation session (August 27 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at Multicultural Affairs – 618 S. Michigan, 4th Floor)
Great! How do I Sign-up?
1. CLICK HERE to complete an online application
2. Attend the Peer Support Program Orientation session (August 27 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at Multicultural Affairs – 618 S. Michigan, 4th Floor)
3. Read and sign the Mentee Commitment Form (this can be done at the orientation session on August 27)
After we receive your online application we will contact you to confirm that you are enrolled in the program. It’s just that simple! This program is popular among new students and room is limited to the first 100 students to enroll, so CLICK HERE to complete your application TODAY!
If you have any questions about the Peer Support Program, please call us at 312-369-7569. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing your application materials and meeting you during orientation and during Weeks of Welcome!
Kimberly L. Weatherly
Director of African American Cultural Affairs