The mission of the Department of Theatre at Columbia College Chicago is to provide undergraduate students with a comprehensive education in the practices and processes of creating theatre and live performance, within the context of higher learning.
- To provide students with a superior practical training in theatre arts
- To facilitate a climate of critical thinking and self-reflection that enables students to contribute their best work in collaboration with others.
- To provide students with opportunities to practice their growing expertise through a wide range of performance applications.
- To expose students to international theatre practices and performances
- To engage students in interdisciplinary collaboration with other disciplines in the arts and sciences
- To empower students to create a body of work that will not only reflect but also shape the future of our culture.
These goals are achieved through:
- A Departmental curriculum engaging students in a progression of skills and exposing them to a wide continuum of theatrical practice.
- A diverse and professional faculty and staff who are active in their fields, and whose lives provide models for balancing art and commerce in a career in theatre.
- An emphasis on participation in theatrical production giving students opportunities to develop their craft and artistic sensibilities.
- Academic advising to provide guidance to students throughout their education.
- Partnerships with other departments, professional arts organizations, community-based organizations, and international institutions, to provide a breadth of experiences in the art form.
- A network of internship opportunities to help students make the bridge between college and professional work.
- A commitment to continuous assessment and development of self-reflection through the active practice of the scholarship of teaching and learning.