Columbia College Chicago is a creative liberal arts college focused on rigorous academics and hands-on, team-based learning. Located in one of the most vibrant and forward-thinking cities in the world, we are committed to an inclusive community that will inspire you to hone your talents and shape the world around you.
You are considered a second bachelor’s student if you have already completed a bachelor’s degree at an accredited four-year college or university. To apply, submit the following items in addition to the application. (Note: Some items are not required but strongly recommended.)Start your application
Proof of English Language Proficiency
Proof of English language proficiency is required for admission into the College’s undergraduate degree program if English is not your country’s primary language. This can be demonstrated by submitting at least one of the following:
- Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)—Recommended score of 80 on the iBT (Internet Based TOEFL) or 553 on the pBT (Paper-Based TOEFL);
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)—score of at least 6.5;
- ACT (American College Testing)—Recommended score of 18 or higher on the English and Reading sections;
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)—Recommended score of 430 or higher on the Critical Reading section;
- Transcript from a U.S. high school or a high school in which English is the language of instruction and the applicant has completed at least three years in that high school with passing grades;
- Evidence of completion of at least one semester of university-level coursework in English Composition at an accredited college/university in the United States with a grade of “C” or better;
- Successful completion of an ESL course at a preferred institution:
- DePaul’s English Language Academy—University Bridge Level
- Intrax English Language Programs—level 9
Note: The English Proficiency Requirements cannot be waived for any applicant educated in a country where the native language is not officially recognized as English. Waivers will not be granted to international applicants/nonnative speakers on the basis of U.S. employment or U.S. residency alone, nor solely on completion of an English as a Second Language (ESL) program unless there is a pre-existing partnership agreement between Columbia and the ESL program.
Columbia requires official or certified true copies of your educational records demonstrating successful completion of a high school or secondary education. If you need help determining which transcripts or educational records to send us. Check out this guide.