CBMR to Partner with SphinxCon—Diversity in the Performing Arts
Sphinx, the national organization that is dedicated to transforming lives through the power of diversity in the arts, will convene a national event to address the issues of diversity in the performing arts, bringing together leaders from all disciplines of the performing arts to share ideas, challenges, successes, and lessons learned in pursuit of increased diversity in all aspects of the performing arts sector. Organizations working in all aspects of the performing arts will share challenges and interest in diversity, whether it be engaging diverse audiences, building diversity among program participants, or supporting the work organizations are doing around diversity.
The CBMR is proud to be among the founding organizational partners for this important convening. Others include Americans for the Arts, Chamber Music America, Dance USA, the League of American Orchestras, the National Association of Negro Musicians, and the National Black Arts Festival. CBMR executive director Monica Hairston O’Connell will be a featured guest speaker.
Goals and Takeaways of SphinxCon:
- To convene a critical mass of performing arts leaders and practitioners on the topic of diversity and create a space for discussion and sharing.
- To share ideas, build connections, and think critically about how the performing arts sector approaches diversity.
- To present a broad view of how diversity is happening in all disciplines.
- To develop contacts and resources.
- To empower participants to take action.
SphinxCon will be held in Detroit, Michigan, during February 15–17, 2013. For additional information and registration materials, please visit http://www.sphinxmusic.org/sphinxcon.html.