Erin McCarthy Appointed Interim Chair of Humanities, History, and Social Sciences
Columbia College Chicago is pleased to announce the appointment of Erin McCarthy, PhD, as Interim Chair of the Humanities, History, and Social Sciences (HHSS) Department, effective June 1, 2017.
Dr. McCarthy has served the department as acting chair for the past two years and associate chair for more than four years prior. During the past two years, she led the department’s participation in the initial development of the Core Curriculum as part of the Strategic Plan and the comprehensive review and rationalization of the department’s course offerings and scheduling.
Dr. McCarthy is a nationally recognized oral historian who has taught popular courses at Columbia, such as “Oral History: The Art of the Interview” and “Baseball in History & Literature: A Contested Narrative.” Her honors oral history students have contributed more than 400 transcribed interviews to the Library of Congress’ Veterans History Project, the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center, the Chicagoland Anti-Apartheid Movement Collection, and the Chicago Area Women’s History Council.
- From Happy Accidents to the Manhattan School of Music
- Fashion’s Take on COVID-19
- Sahar Mustafah MFA Fiction ’13 Publishes New Novel, The Beauty of Your Face
- Interdisciplinary Alumnus Leo Selvaggio Uses Art in his COVID Experiments for the Common Good
- Weihua Li Focuses on Teaching and Research While at Columbia