Erin McCarthy Appointed Interim Chair of Humanities, History, and Social Sciences
Columbia College Chicago is pleased to announce the appointment of Erin McCarthy, PhD, as Interim Chair of the Humanities, History, and Social Sciences (HHSS) Department, effective June 1, 2017.
Dr. McCarthy has served the department as acting chair for the past two years and associate chair for more than four years prior. During the past two years, she led the department’s participation in the initial development of the Core Curriculum as part of the Strategic Plan and the comprehensive review and rationalization of the department’s course offerings and scheduling.
Dr. McCarthy is a nationally recognized oral historian who has taught popular courses at Columbia, such as “Oral History: The Art of the Interview” and “Baseball in History & Literature: A Contested Narrative.” Her honors oral history students have contributed more than 400 transcribed interviews to the Library of Congress’ Veterans History Project, the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center, the Chicagoland Anti-Apartheid Movement Collection, and the Chicago Area Women’s History Council.
- Photography Alum, Guggenheim Fellow on How Columbia Helped Shape and Inform Her Practice
- “Artists and Models” Exhibition: Students Across Campus Tell the Story of the South Side Community Art Center
- Association for Popular Music Education is Breaking New Ground at Columbia
- Cartoons That Make You Think: Political Cartoon Contest 2021 Winners Announced
- Columbia Student-Run “Hokin Honors” Exhibit Returns in Virtual Format