Carmelo Esterrich to Present at the 13th Puerto Rican Studies Association Biennial Conference
Humanities, History, and Social Sciences Associate Professor Carmelo Esterrich presented a paper at the 13th Puerto Rican Studies Association Biennial Conference at the end of October. Esterrich presented his paper titled “Sissy that Rican: Negotiating Multifarious Puerto Rican-ness in RuPaul’s Drag Race.” His work examines expressions of identity in cultural production by looking at Alexis Mateo and Yara Sofia, two contestants on RuPaul’s Drag Race, the Emmy Award-winning reality competition program that has also featured alums Shee Coulee ’11 and Kim Chi.
The 13th Puerto Rican Studies Association Biennial Conference is a space for professional development among new generations of experts on Puerto Rican Studies. The conference also provides a venue for film and art exhibitions and for trade publishers to showcase their most recent books.
- AAA Alum Patrick Tumulty on Pivoting to Chase the Dream
- Faculty, Alum on Her Full Circle Experience at Columbia College Chicago
- Yulia Yrkoski on Illustration and Staying True to Yourself
- Audio Engineering Student Kimberly Liwanag on Living the Journey
- Ksenia Rychtycka ’93 Publishes Poetry Chapbook, "A Sky Full of Wings"