Department Chair Peter Cook to be a Featured Performer at the Publishing American Sign Language Poetry Event
American Sign Language Department Chair and Associate Professor Peter Cook will be one of the featured ASL poets at the Publishing American Sign Language Poetry event, hosted by CUNY’s Graduate Center on Thursday, September 13.
The Publishing American Sign Language Poetry event aims to honor the creative works of Deaf and Deafblind poets, exposing new audiences to signed poetry and to launch discussions about how ASL poetry can be preserved and experience beyond live performance. Scholars, poets, and cultural writers will be performing readings in various genres and styles. During the event, Cook will perform an original work. Following the readings, there will be a discussion on translation, poetics, and linguistics.
The Publishing American Sign Language Poetry event is free and open to the public. RSVP for the event here.
- Photography Alum, Guggenheim Fellow on How Columbia Helped Shape and Inform Her Practice
- “Artists and Models” Exhibition: Students Across Campus Tell the Story of the South Side Community Art Center
- Association for Popular Music Education is Breaking New Ground at Columbia
- Cartoons That Make You Think: Political Cartoon Contest 2021 Winners Announced
- Columbia Student-Run “Hokin Honors” Exhibit Returns in Virtual Format