Columbia Alums Honored at 2021 NAACP Image Awards
Columbia College Chicago is proud to announce that alumni Diane Weyermann '92 and Keith Walker '88 have been honored as winners in the Outstanding Documentary (Film) category during this year's NAACP Image Awards. Both alums worked on John Lewis: Good Trouble, a film which chronicles the Georgia Representative's six decades of social and political activism. Weyermann was the executive producer on the project, while Walker was the cinematographer.
Alum Hafizah Geter, MFA '10, was nominated for her Wesleyan University Press-published work, Un-American in the category of Outstanding Literary Work-Poetry. Through Un-American, Geter uses poetry to chart the history of a family of many diverse origins and mixed citizenship. Another Chicago Magazine also gave Un-American rave reviews, noting, "To mourn a loved one (or in some cases, a stranger, who by nature of diaspora could be considered a loved one) in a country that refuses to acknowledge Black life is to make available to the living and the dead perpetuity and the right/rite of being seen."
Eight other Columbia alumni were also recognized in this year's awards, as the projects they worked on earned the following nominations and wins:
Outstanding Animated Motion Picture
- Soul – Winner
- Daniel Lopez Munoz ’96 (Character Designer)
Outstanding Television Movie, Limited-Series or Dramatic Special
- Nominee – Hamilton
- Declan Quinn ’79 (Director of Photography)
Outstanding Talk Series
- Red Table Talk – Winner
- Hope Nash ’14 (Segment Producer, 9 episodes, 2019-2020)
- Michael Mazzara ’95 – (Supervising Producer, 1 episode, 2020)
Outstanding Children’s Program
- Nominee - Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices
- John Zuiker ’05 – (Art Director, 12 episodes, 2020)
- Nominee - Raven’s Home
- LaTonya Croff ’01 – (Staff Writer, Story Editor, Writer, 25 episodes, 2018-2020)
- Brett Maier ’09 – (Writer, 1 episode, 2020)
Congratulations to all of our #Columalums! For more information, please contact Sarah Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org.