Lecture on Photography: Sybil Venegas
The Photography Department will host curator and art historian Sybil Venegas for a discussion on the new exhibit Laura Aguilar: Show and Tell, which Venegas curated and which opens March 22 at the National Museum of Mexican Art. Venegas will discuss her curatorial process and the work of curating the first comprehensive retrospection of photographer Laura Aguilar, whose work offers candid portrayals of herself, her friends and family, and her Chicana/Latina and LGBTQ communities.
Sybil Venegas is an independent art historian, curator, and Professor Emerita of Chicana/o Studies at East Los Angeles College. She is among the first art historians to historicize Chicana art and is a recognized scholar in Chicana feminist art history as well as the cultural politics of Dia de los Muertos ceremonials in Chicanx/Latinx communities. Her articles and curatorial essays are published in numerous catalogs and also appear in her website: www.chicanoart.org.Lecture on Photography: Sybil Venegas
Thursday, March 21
Ferguson Lecture Hall
600 S. Michigan Ave., First Floor
- Sahar Mustafah MFA Fiction ’13 Publishes New Novel, The Beauty of Your Face
- Interdisciplinary Alumnus Leo Selvaggio Uses Art in his COVID Experiments for the Common Good
- Weihua Li Focuses on Teaching and Research While at Columbia
- Alexis Kirkpatrick BA ’22 Publishes Story “Mr. Forget- Me-Not?"
- Nick Olson BA ’14 Publishes first Novel, Here’s Waldo