English Proficiency Requirements
Proof of English language proficiency is required for admission to the college if English is not your country’s primary language*.
This can be demonstrated by submitting at least one of the following with your application to Columbia:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) - recommended iBT score of 80 or higher; 550 on paper based TOEFL
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – minimum score 6.5
- ACT (American College Testing) - Recommended score of 20 or higher on the English and Reading sections
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) - Recommended score of 500 or higher on Evidence Based Reading and Writing section
- Transcript from a U.S. high school or a high school in which English is the language of instruction and the applicant has completed at least three years with passing grades
- Transcript showing completion of at least two semesters of university-level coursework in English Composition at an accredited college/university in the United States with a grade of 'C' or better
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma- Completion of the IB diploma program
- IB score of 5 or higher on the English Language and Literature exam (if applicant hasn’t completed IB Diploma program
- Cambridge A-Level English (Non ESL) grade of C or higher
- AP English Language and Composition score of 4 or higher
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) - Minimum score required 60
- Cambridge Assessment English - B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency with a Cambridge English score of 176 or above.
- Duolingo English Test – Minimum score of 105
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) score of at least 5 in English language
- Successful completion of an ESL course at a preferred institution
- Stafford House Language Programs – Advanced Level 6 (CEF:C1)
- ELS Language Centers – level 112
*If you are from an English speaking country (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, Ghana, Singapore) you do not need to submit proof. Other countries may be eligible; please contact us via email.
Note: The English Proficiency Requirements cannot be waived for any applicant educated in a country where the native language is not officially recognized as English. Waivers will not be granted to international applicants/nonnative speakers on the basis of U.S. employment or U.S. residency alone, nor solely on completion of an English as a Second Language (ESL) program unless there is a pre-existing partnership agreement between Columbia and the ESL program.