Associate Professor Teresa Prados-Torreira Selected as Vice President of the American Humor Studies Association
Humanities, History, and Social Sciences Associate Professor Teresa Prados-Torreira was recently selected as the Vice President of the American Humor Studies Association. The American Humor Studies Association was founded in 1975 and continues to promote scholarship in all areas of American humor through annual conferences, publications, and awards. The association examines facets and periods of American humor from Mark Twain to political cartoons to stand-up comedy.
Prados-Torreira has been an active member of the American Humor Studies Association for over a decade, regularly contributing to the group’s scholarly journal Studies in American Humor. At this year’s conference, she presented on a paper that addressed humor in the 1920s. Shortly after, Prados-Torreira was elected Vice President by the association’s Governing Board. In her newly appointed role, Prados-Torreira is responsible for choosing the themes for several annual panels and contributing to the overall functioning of the association.
In addition to her role, Prados-Torreira teaches “Cartoons and Satire in American History” and spearheads the Paula Pfeffer and Cheryl Johnson-Odim Political Cartoon Contest each spring. The contest provides Columbia College Chicago students with an opportunity to become political and social commentators, demonstrate their artistic skills, and showcase their analytical abilities.
- Dance and Cultural Studies Alum Brianna Heath '17 on the Importance of Listening to Your Genuine Self
- Pinball Wizard Jessica Durbala '21 Launches Her First Game
- Art History Assistant Professor Onur Öztürk on Architecture, Decolonization, and Our Intertwined World
- Alum Mary Kate Ashe '19 Promotes Accessibility at SXSW
- SXSW: Columbia College Chicago Students Experience the Ultimate Field Trip