Joan Giroux’s ‘eco monopolies’ Opens at the MCA on May 1
Art and Art History Associate Professor Joan Giroux’s interactive installation eco monopolies in the Commons will be open at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago’s Commons Artist Project from May 1—October 7.
Eco monopolies will focus on the ways Chicago’s residents and government define and maintain public land that is threatened by political decisions and commercial development in the city’s diverse neighborhoods. Utilizing mapmaking and games, eco monopolies promotes active engagement from participants. Giroux encourages the public to consider their role in the future of green city space development and natural resource preservation. Through eco monopolies, Giroux asks, “What can we do to prevent the loss of open green spaces threatened by political forces and commercial development?”
- From Happy Accidents to the Manhattan School of Music
- Fashion’s Take on COVID-19
- Sahar Mustafah MFA Fiction ’13 Publishes New Novel, The Beauty of Your Face
- Interdisciplinary Alumnus Leo Selvaggio Uses Art in his COVID Experiments for the Common Good
- Weihua Li Focuses on Teaching and Research While at Columbia