Norma Fay Green Receives 2018 Fulbright Dee Sarelas Service Award
Journalism Emeritus Professor Norma Fay Green was the recipient of the 2018 Fulbright Dee Sarelas Service Award. The Fulbright Association notes that the award “acknowledges the person or institution that demonstrates its vocation of service to the Fulbright ideals and recognizes ‘the significant impact on the development of internationalism for the Fulbright Association and the Chicagoland community.’”
In her work, Green sought to internationalize the curriculum of Columbia’s Journalism Department by mentoring graduate students, especially international graduate students who expressed interest in teaching, by modelling classroom management techniques from Nigeria, Italy, Brazil, and Canada, and by giving students a platform to lead discussions relating to their homeland. Green implemented global perspectives in all twenty-three different courses she taught. She formed regular study trips to Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas. She has contributed significantly to Fulbright’s local association over the years. More information on Green’s accomplishments can be found here.
The Fulbright Association “promotes international education. Our vision is a world where international exchange is widely recognized as a force for peace.” In 2013 Columbia College Chicago was officially recognized as a “Fulbright Program Top Producing Institution,” by the Institute of International Education.
- Columbia Hosts First Student-Programmed Gala to Raise Money for Scholarships
- Transfer Student Trisa Colon on Building a Future as a Returning Learner
- Student Event Producer Iridian Fierro on Scholarships and Achieving Her Dreams
- Student Finds Inspiration and Motivation Through Event Collaboration
- Singer and Music Instructor G. Thomas Allen Celebrates Second GRAMMY Nominated Project