CTVA Professor Josef Steiff's Film Wins at The Santa Fe Film Festival
Columbia College Chicago is proud to announce that Cinema and Television Arts Professor Josef Steiff's new short film, "Jesse James," has been recognized at The Santa Fe Film Festival. In "Jesse James," two lovers must confront the limits of their relationship and the consequences of loss in the time between a neighbor calling the police and the police arriving at the scene of a domestic dispute.
For director Steiff, the film presents an opportunity to discuss subjects that are often not broached on screen. "Just as in heterosexual relationships, domestic violence in queer relationships is often hidden, at least until it can be no longer," Steiff says. "My hope is that “Jesse James” serves as a reminder that love is complex and complicated; that domestic violence among gay couples does exist even if it is not readily visible." The film incorporates mythology, fables, and narratives from other cultural touch points in its exploration of these difficult themes.
"Jesse James" stars Spike Mayer and Joey Bicicchi. Columbia College Chicago alums Dylan Love and Catherine Nguyen composed the score for the film and won Best Original Music for the film at the La Dolce Vita Cine Roman monthly film series. Other CTVA alums on the crew included Assistant Director Sean J.S. Jourdan, Director of Photography Gabriel Patay, Editor Melissa Lawrenz, Production Designer Derek Ligas, and Mark Novak, who did wardrobe. Columbia staff member John Cavallino worked as a color and post-production supervisor on the project. CTVA faculty members who assisted on the project include Cari Callis, Sue Mroz, and Wenhwa Ts'ao.
- Associate Professor Jeanne Petrolle’s Story of Writing, Adventures and the Bible
- Honorary Degree Recipient and Renowned Playwright and Actor Regina Taylor HDR ’11 to Speak at Columbia Social Justice Initiative Event
- Sheryl Williams on Performing, Intimacy for the Stage, and Eliminating the Stigma of Mental Health in the Arts
- Get Ready to Register for Summer and Fall 2021 Semesters
- Introducing Columbia's Newly Tenured Faculty