Musical Theatre Program Requests Submissions for New Work
Columbia College Chicago’s Musical Theatre Program is requesting new musical theatre work that will be workshopped, rehearsed, and presented either in person or digitally during the fall of 2021.
The request is for a piece that provides a unique perspective on our current time, shines a light on injustice, and/or shares stories from underrepresented voices that has not been produced. The program is seeking a book writer/composer/lyricist, or a team of book writer(s), composer(s), and lyricist(s) who are interested in working with undergraduate students to share their professional experience, artistic vision, and expertise in giving voice to new musicals. A director, music director, and stage management team will be provided. The final presentation will either be a semi-staged/concert reading or a workshop-style table read.
Submissions from a book writer/composer/lyricist or team will be accepted. The chosen piece will rehearse over the fall semester with a core company of Columbia College Chicago students. The rehearsal period will culminate in three performances (either in-person or virtually) in early November, with a talkback after one of the performances for audience members and guests.
- BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, TGNC (trans & gender non-conforming), women, and other underrepresented book writers, composers, and lyricists will receive first consideration.
- Not open to current Columbia College Chicago students.
- Creative team can be involved in casting as scheduling permits.
- Rehearsals will be held Monday-Thursday from 7:00-10:00pm CST and Friday as needed.
- Performances will be November 11, 12, and 13.
- Works can be any length. The performances will consist of either a series of shorter pieces, the first act of a two-act musical that is not yet complete, or a full-length completed musical.
- Musicals must be new (never produced) or have a very limited production record.
- Each book writer, composer, and lyricist will receive a stipend for attendance at minimum one week of the rehearsal process (including the first day of rehearsals), attendance at each performance, and the talkback.
- We will furnish recordings of each performance to the creative team.
- The rehearsal process and performance medium will be subject to COVID recommendations.
Submissions must include the following:
- Short cover letter including name/contact information, resumes, and bios of the creative team
- Short synopsis and casting requirements (including vocal ranges)
- Production record (if applicable)
- Full script of the play and at least three demos of songs from the show (full sketch of the show will be accepted for works still early in development)
The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2021. Submissions should be sent to Jermaine Hill, Coordinator of the Musical Theatre Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dance and Cultural Studies Alum Brianna Heath '17 on the Importance of Listening to Your Genuine Self
- Pinball Wizard Jessica Durbala '21 Launches Her First Game
- Art History Assistant Professor Onur Öztürk on Architecture, Decolonization, and Our Intertwined World
- Alum Mary Kate Ashe '19 Promotes Accessibility at SXSW
- SXSW: Columbia College Chicago Students Experience the Ultimate Field Trip