Columbia Hosts Series of Events for Fashion Revolution Week 2022
Do you ever wonder what a more equitable, just, and sustainable fashion industry might look like? Do you want to learn what measures you can take as both a producer and consumer of fashion to create a regenerative, restorative, and revolutionary fashion industry?
If so, join the Fashion Studies Department from April 18-22 as Columbia College Chicago participates in Fashion Revolution Week—the world’s largest fashion activism movement. A Kick-off event will be held, April 13, at 5 p.m., where participants will be invited to design a tote bag for all the Fashion Revolution Week events.
Fashion Revolution Week was created in the wake of the 2013 Rana Plaza Collapse, which killed more than 1,000 people and injured another 2,500—all while producing cheap garments for some of the world’s most well-known fashion brands. Fashion Revolution Week is premised on the idea that no one should die for fashion and that there is no sustainable fashion without fair pay.
This year’s Fashion Revolution Week theme is “MONEY FASHION POWER.” Through community-based events and workshops, participants will be empowered to learn about the relationship between labor exploitation and the climate crisis and will be introduced to the skills that will allow them to take action.
At Columbia, the week’s events will include the following:
- Visible Mending Workshop, April 20, 5 to 7 p.m., Columbia Library, 624 S. Michigan Ave., 3rd Floor Reading Room
- Clothing Swap, April 21, 5 p.m., Columbia Library, 624 S. Michigan Ave., 3rd Floor Reading Room
- Book Club, April 19, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Columbia Library, 624 S. Michigan Ave., 3rd Floor Reading Room
To learn more and RSVP, visit the Events Calendar.
- Dance and Cultural Studies Alum Brianna Heath '17 on the Importance of Listening to Your Genuine Self
- Pinball Wizard Jessica Durbala '21 Launches Her First Game
- Art History Assistant Professor Onur Öztürk on Architecture, Decolonization, and Our Intertwined World
- Alum Mary Kate Ashe '19 Promotes Accessibility at SXSW
- SXSW: Columbia College Chicago Students Experience the Ultimate Field Trip