Columbia College Chicago Names Inaugural Recipients of Chicagoland Transfer Awards
CHICAGO (July 24, 2018)–Columbia College Chicago today announced the recipients of its inaugural Chicagoland Transfer Award, which provides one full-tuition scholarship and 10 $10,000 scholarships to students transferring from Chicago-area community colleges to Columbia.
More than 70 students applied for the Transfer Award in its first year, and a committee selected highly accomplished recipients for the renewable scholarship. Recipients were selected based on their academic achievements and the quality of their essays.
“Columbia’s scholarship committee was deeply impressed with the applicants for the inaugural Chicagoland Transfer Award. We anticipate that the recipients of this scholarship will excel at Columbia due to their determination and the high level of academic preparation they received at their community colleges,” said Stanley Wearden, senior vice president and provost at Columbia.
Columbia offers more than $4 million in scholarships to transfer students annually, averaging more than $5,250 for those receiving institutional scholarships. Students applying for admission for the Fall 2018 semester will receive full consideration for Columbia’s generous scholarship programs.
Alejandra Cosio of Chicago, who earned an Associate in Arts Degree with high honors from Harold Washington College in May 2018, is the recipient of the full-tuition Transfer Award from Columbia. She plans to study Marketing at Columbia while she continues her volunteer work in advocacy for immigrants.
“The Chicagoland Transfer Award means the world to me,” said Cosio. “This scholarship opens a realm of possibilities for me and it proves to me that dreams are worth fighting for.”
Additional recipients who have confirmed their attendance to Columbia this fall include:
- Anthony Pellegrino of Tinley Park, IL (from Moraine Valley Community College) – Comedy Writing and Performance
- Anna Josephina Julietta Pierczynski of Itasca, IL (from College of DuPage) – Television
- Athina Darrus of Downers Grove, IL (from College of DuPage) – Marketing
- Natalie Callegari of Berwyn, IL (from College of DuPage) – Graphic Design
- Katelin Colatorti of Bartlett, IL (from William Rainey Harper College) – Animation
- Amber Wood of Downers Grove, IL (from College of DuPage) – Filmmaking
- Sabrina Szigeti of Aurora, IL (from Waubonsee Community College) – Creative Writing
- Janet Santoyo of Alsip, IL (from Moraine Valley Community College) – Game Art
Columbia College Chicago is a private, nonprofit college offering a distinctive curriculum that blends creative and media arts, liberal arts, and business for nearly 7,500 students in more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Dedicated to academic excellence and long-term career success, Columbia College Chicago creates a dynamic, challenging, and collaborative space for students who experience the world through a creative lens. For more information, visit colum.edu.
Columbia College Chicago
- Jim DeRogatis and His New Book Make the Case Against R. Kelly
- A Philosopher and a Psychologist Discuss "The Emotional Mind"
- Columbia’s Newly Tenured Faculty
- "It's About the Girls": Journalist Jim DeRogatis Takes on R. Kelly
- Intersectionality at the Heart of the 4th Annual Chicago Feminist Film Festival