Combined Degree Program (BA | MA)
Applications for Fall 2021 will open later this year. If you have questions or would like to be notified when the application opens, please email email@example.com.
Benefits of graduating with a Combined Degree
The Combined Degree Program allows undergraduates to take graduate level courses toward a master's degree while paying the less expensive undergraduate tuition rate their senior year. Eligible students will then complete the master's degree the following year with fewer credits than typically required for a one-year MA. You will save time and money as you build analytical, critical thinking, and leadership skills you'll use in the workplace.
Graduating from Columbia with both a BA and MA will give you a competitive employment edge, demonstrating to employers your maturity, career preparation, and overall commitment. Having degrees in complementary areas will also showcase a unique combination of skills in a marketplace that increasingly calls for employees who are adept in both right and left brain thinking
Additionally, earning the MA will allow you to expand your professional network before entering the workforce. You will work with new faculty and cohort members with different connections than the people you met during your undergraduate degree. Leveraging this extra time to build your skill set and your network will better position you to begin your career.
How to Apply
- Earn at least 90 credits before your senior year.
- Earn at least 12 credits while in residence at Columbia College.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all classes taken at Columbia College.
- Enter your senior undergraduate year with at least 12 free elective credit hours—six in the fall, six in the spring.
Eligible MA Programs
A few degree paths Columbia students can follow
- Advertising (BA) major pursuing a Strategic Communications (MA)
- Journalism (BA) major pursuing a Civic Media (MA)
- Game Design (BA) major pursuing an Interaction Design (MA)
- Fine Arts (BA) major pursuing an Entrepreneurship for Creatives (MA)