Eligibility and Requirements
SiLA is competitive and merit-based. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Your eligibility includes:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Semester-long program is open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students.
- BFA students should consult with Academic Advising to schedule the LA experience around their thesis requirements.
- One-week workshops are open to freshman on up.
- Significant progress in completing all core curriculum requirements.
- No academic or disciplinary violations.
- Application submission is for a specific term and cannot be deferred.
- Completion of the online application during the submission period. The application consists of:
- Four short-answer essay questions.
- Two written references: one from a faculty member and one from a professional such as an employer or volunteer supervisor.
- A professional resume.
- A 60-second video introducing yourself and your strengths.
- All finalists will be invited to participate in a 10-minute personal interview.
Acceptance to the program is conditional. There is a series of milestones you must meet before you can officially enroll. You will be given a list of these conditions as well as dates and procedures on how to satisfy them at orientation:
- Academic self-audit with College Advising.
- Meeting with Columbia's Career Center and registering with the college’s employment database.
- Proof of health insurance.
- Attendance at orientation session(s).
- Clearance of all restrictions to registration, including financial holds.
- If you plan on graduating directly after the program, you will need to apply for graduation before leaving Chicago.