Nate Bakkum Appointed Associate Dean of the School of Fine and Performing Arts
Associate Professor of Music Nate Bakkum, PhD, will serve as Associate Dean of the School of Fine and Performing Arts, effective June 1, 2017.
Bakkum is a musicologist, educator, and creative musician. In his published writings and his curricular designs, he has pursued modes of historical and structural thinking that foreground collaborative practice and critical listening. Bakkum's scholarship and pedagogy are deeply informed by his creative practice as a performer and songwriter. These connections can be heard throughout his recent album, Resolutions, a synthpop project exploring themes of communication, privilege, and change.
Over the last seven years, Bakkum has served in various administrative and leadership roles within SFPA. As Associate Chair of the Music Department from 2014-16, he facilitated the department’s ongoing work toward the development of an inclusive and vibrant contemporary music curriculum. He has significant experience in the curriculum review and proposal process, departmental budgeting, faculty hiring and evaluation processes, and strategic planning. Additionally, Bakkum was a primary author of two interdisciplinary degree program proposals, including the BS in Music Technology and the new minor in Hip-Hop. Having deeply engaged in interdepartmental and inter-school collaboration, Bakkum brings a wealth of knowledge regarding the college’s information systems and administrative structures.
- Adjunct Instructor and Academy Award Nominee John Hancock on Fearlessness, Directing, and the Next Chapter
- Columbia Faculty Member Wins Awards for Broadway Show
- From a Wild Zapper to Assistant Professor: How Matthew Andersen Found His Way to Columbia
- Game Developer Autumn Scruggs '20 on the New World of Game Developing
- Ears Wide Open: Perfecting the Art of Listening in Creative Communities