Columbia Students to Attend South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival for AEMMP Practicum and Other Classes
More than 100 graduate and undergraduate students from Columbia College Chicago’s Business and Entrepreneurship and Cinema and Television Arts Departments will travel to Austin, Texas for the South by Southwest (SXSW) media festival taking place March 9-18. This is the ninth year that the Business and Entrepreneurship Department will be attending, and the first for Cinema and Television Arts students. While students have attended previous SXSW Music Festivals, this is the first year students will attend the SXSW Film and Interactive Festivals as well.
“I started the trip because I saw it as a very real-world opportunity for the students to immerse themselves in the media industry and engage with industry professionals converging on Austin from all over the world,” said Business and Entrepreneurship Associate Professor Justin Sinkovich, a 19-year SXSW veteran and instructor of Columbia’s Arts, Entertainment, and Media Management Practicum (AEMMP) Digital Distribution and Promotion Agency Practicum.
Business and Entrepreneurship Associate Chair Jerry Brindisi currently coordinates the trip. Other involved faculty members include Business and Entrepreneurship Chair Mary Filice and Business and Entrepreneurship Assistant Professor Alexander Fruchter, who heads up the AEMMP Hip-Hop record label course.
- Photography Alum, Guggenheim Fellow on How Columbia Helped Shape and Inform Her Practice
- “Artists and Models” Exhibition: Students Across Campus Tell the Story of the South Side Community Art Center
- Association for Popular Music Education is Breaking New Ground at Columbia
- Cartoons That Make You Think: Political Cartoon Contest 2021 Winners Announced
- Columbia Student-Run “Hokin Honors” Exhibit Returns in Virtual Format