Spring Splash Highlights Student Screenwriters and Creators, Connects Students with CTVA Alums
Columbia College Chicago’s Cinema and Television Arts (CTVA) Department is excited to announce the 2022 CTVA Spring Splash on Friday, April 8, and Saturday, April 9. Hosted in collaboration with the Department of Alumni Relations and building off the success of last year’s Spring Screenwriter’s Splash, this year’s events will highlight both student screenwriters and creators with in-person screenings and scene readings for selected projects (April 8) as well as virtual industry panels with CTVA alumni (April 9): “Making a First Feature” and “Finding Your Way in the Industry.”
“It is invigorating to see the eagerness of alumni to engage with our current students,” says Missy Hernandez, assistant professor and one of the event’s organizers. “I look forward to seeing this program grow and become a highlight of the academic year and a chance for everyone to see the level of talent that coming from our school.”
At the in-person event on April 8, the Columbia community (including alums as well as student family members and those interested in attending Columbia College Chicago) will enjoy a showcase featuring the first-place winners of Annual Written Image Screenwriting Competition along with finalists for the CTVA Script Launch and CTVA Shorts and Series Launch.
Alumni Judges for these competitions include Toy Monique Hawkins, vice president of scripted development and programming, BET Networks/BET Studios; Whitney Wetta, Emmy-winning writer of the Nickelodeon series The Loud House; Johnny Derango, director of photography for cinema and TV (credits include Fatman  and the Hulu series Everyone is Doing Great ; and Brad Bischoff, director/writer (named one of Filmmaker Magazine’s “25 New Faces of Independent Film” in 2018).
To learn more about this year’s judges and their latest work, follow @columcinematv on social media where we will be highlighting these individuals throughout the month of April.
Here is important information about the events:
- April 8, 6 p.m. – This is an in-person event and registration is required. If you do not have a current Columbia College Chicago ID, you may be asked to show proof of vaccination OR present a negative COVID test taken within the past three days. Face coverings are required. Location: Film Row Cinema, 1104 S. Wabash Ave. 8th floor, Chicago.
- April 9, “Making a First Feature,” 12 to 2 p.m., CST; “Finding Your Way in the Industry,” 3 to 5 p.m., CST – Both sessions are virtual events, and registration is required. The link and password are the same for both sessions.
- International Student Seizes Opportunities After Emerging From COVID-19 Isolation
- A Passion for Philosophy, Piping Plovers, Punk, and Pedagogy
- Dave Pabellon on Being a Design Practitioner and Why He Chose Columbia
- Raising Hearing Awareness Among Future Sound Professionals
- Making Chemistry Shine at Columbia