Theatre Reunion Weekend at the Newly Renovated Getz Theater Center
Columbia College Chicago’s Theatre Reunion Weekend features a special opening performance, receptions, industry breakout sessions with distinguished alumni, building tours, and a keynote talk by Anna D. Shapiro ’90, HDR ’15, artistic director of Steppenwolf Theatre.
The weekend begins with an opening performance of the Theatre Department’s 2018-19 Mainstage season opener, The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood (author of The Handmaid’s Tale). The performance is designed with a student cast and all-alumni team under the direction of Theatre alum AJ Ware ’09. This will be the first production in the newly renovated Courtyard Theater mainstage at the Getz Theater Center. The Getz Theater Center underwent a two-year renovation, having the main auditorium transformed into a seated theater. The new construction has four professional-quality stages, a state-of-the-art scene shop, stocked costume shop, and dedicated makeup/prosthetics and lighting labs. A tour of the theater is scheduled for Saturday, October 20.
Along with the opening performance and building tour, there will be comments by special guests Mark Kelly HDR ’17, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events and Jim Jacobs HDR ’14, co-creator of the hit musical Grease and benefactor of the Jim Jacobs Musical Theatre Scholarship.
For a full schedule of weekend activities, visit the Theatre Reunion Weekend page.
- Photography Alum, Guggenheim Fellow on How Columbia Helped Shape and Inform Her Practice
- “Artists and Models” Exhibition: Students Across Campus Tell the Story of the South Side Community Art Center
- Association for Popular Music Education is Breaking New Ground at Columbia
- Cartoons That Make You Think: Political Cartoon Contest 2021 Winners Announced
- Columbia Student-Run “Hokin Honors” Exhibit Returns in Virtual Format