A New Way to Look at Fabulousness: Collective Impact Webinar Set for Friday, Oct 9 at 7pm CST
The upcoming webinar, titled "A Field Guide to Fabulousness," explores the queerness of sequins, glitter and other accoutrements of “fabulousness” and how these pave the way for alternative, peripheral methods of being in the world. We will explore fabulousness as a survival tactic, a worldmaking strategy that queer and trans people of color use to create vibrant elsewheres. We will explore recent developments in social media and popular culture to think through how fabulousness offers an escape hatch from the anxieties of a culture that works tirelessly to keep multiply marginalized people at the periphery.
This event will be moderated by Rikki Byrd. Following the keynote and discussion, the Chicago Fashion Lyceum will be screening a fashion film by Byron Edge that explores the idea of fashion at the periphery set to a soundtrack by Chicago-based DJ Shaun Wright.
This project is partially supported by the Fashion Studies Department and a generous grant from the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Columbia College Chicago. For more information please contact Assistant Professor Lauren Downing Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit: https://collectiveimpact.art/fashion-at-the-periphery.
- Digital Careers in the New Normal
- Luther Hughes BA ’16 Has Been Awarded Numerous Prizes in 2020
- Caroline Harris MFA ’21 Publishes Short Story "Alchemist's Coffee" in Showbear Family Circus
- Lupita Diaz Donato on Becoming Herself Through Music
- Fashion Alum Javy Solano '17 on Developing his Brand and Moving Forward with Confidence