Major & Concentrations
The Department offers concentrations in Audio, Cinematography, Critical Studies, Directing, Documentary, Editing, Producing, Screenwriting and Animation (Traditional or Computer). Students who choose to pursue the Film & Video major without a concentration may choose the additional 36 hours of study from across the Film & Video Department course offerings subject to any required prerequisite courses.
To graduate with a Bachelor of Arts from Columbia College Chicago , Film & Video Department students are required to take 120 credit hours as follows:
- 52 credits to fulfill the Film & Video requirements
- 42 credits to fulfill Liberal Arts & Sciences requirements
- 26 credits of college wide electives. These can be made up of additional film courses, additional general education courses and/or any other course offered at Columbia College.
The 52 (minimum) credits in the Film & Video department are broken down as follows:
- 16 credits of department Foundations classes.
- 36 or more credits as follows:
- for a Major without Concentration student may take 36 hours from any available Film & Video classes for a total of 52 (+) F&V credits.
- for a Major with Concentration (such as directing, cinematography, editing, screenwriting etc) student follows the concentration’s requirements for a total of 52 (+) F&V credits.
Film & Video Major Without a Concentration
Once the student has completed the Foundations classes, he/she may design a course of study across the concentrations in consultation with a faculty advisors or they follow the most effective sequence of study in realizing their career goals. This further study must amount to 36 credit hours, and for each course the student must have the appropriate prerequisites.
Degree Requirements: Film & Video Major
Film & Video Major with a Concentration
Students take a further 36 credit hours to prepare for a professional specialization. Click the links to see concentration specific degree requirements.
Sound for Cinema - Julian Grant, Coordinator
Cinematography - Adam Jones, Coordinator
Cinema Studies - Ron Falzone, Coordinator
Directing - Tom Fraterrigo, Coordinator
Documentary - Dan Rybicky, Coordinator
Post-Production - David Tarleton, Coordinator
Producing - Kevin Cooper, Coordinator
Screenwriting - Sue Mroz, Coordinator