Graduate Ambassador Program
WE'RE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2013 AMBASSADOR PROGRAM!
Think back to when you were first learning about your graduate program at Columbia, when you made the decision to take the plunge and apply, and when you finally decided to enroll here. If you had a chance to connect with a current student in your program during that process, then you already know how meaningful that interaction can be.
The Graduate Admissions & Services Office is hiring Graduate Ambassadors as a way to make that connection more readily available for students who are interested in our programs, and, naturally, we can’t do it without you.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
Graduate Ambassadors will play a direct and immediate role in attracting talented and dynamic students (like yourself!) to Columbia. Students who are well-suited for that responsibility will be affable, articulate, and passionate about their medium. They must also be comfortable talking and writing about their experience at Columbia.
Specifically, Ambassadors will have the following responsibilities:
- Attend the mandatory Ambassador Training in August
- Respond to prospective and admitted student inquiries and meet with them on campus as necessary
- Blog weekly about your experience here at Columbia—your studies, your work, your faculty, your colleagues
- Contributing regularly to social media content
- Represent their program at admissions/recruiting events
- Assist with the design, promotion, and execution of current student programming
MORE IMPORTANTLY, WHAT YOU GET FROM US!
• The honor of representing your program to prospective students and the pleasure that comes from helping them discover why Columbia is the place to pursue graduate-level education and creative growth;
• The opportunity to develop a compelling web presence via Marginalia, the graduate student blog;
• The opportunity to learn mission-critical marketing and promotion strategies—e.g., search engine optimization and effective leveraging of social media (think about how useful these skills will be in your long-term professional life!);
• Oh, and you also get paid $1,250 per semester!
STILL NOT CONVINCED? HERE'S WHAT OUR 2011 AMBASSADORS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE:
"The fastest way to know your department is to become an ambassador. The rigor to report on the happenings, people, and inner workings allows you to reflect on your involvement both as a student and as aprofessional. I felt more connected to my department as an ambassador, and it's fitting for me to graduate on such a high note."
– Mike, Interdisciplinary Arts & Media MFA
"You feel really connected to the incoming students, and it's a great chance to build your own brand. You have a lot of creative control over what you produce, and it's fun to represent your program."
– Stephanie, Journalism MA
"Seriously, who else do you know who gets paid to blog?"
– Chris, Creative Writing – Fiction MFA
TO APPLY, submit your application materials to the Graduate Admissions & Services Office (600 S Michigan Ave, Suite 200 or email@example.com).
Questions? Contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 312-369-7260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.