Welcome to New Student Placement & Columbia College Chicago!
New Student Placement works with incoming Columbia students to administer the COMPASS Placements, in order to ensure that students are placed in the appropriate level mathematics, reading, and writing courses. Advisors use the results of the COMPASS placements to help each student register for the right courses. For example, the writing placement test may reveal whether a student should enroll in a preparatory English course.
(no appointment necessary)
Fall 2013 Placement Sessions
June 3- August 23, Monday through Friday starting at 9:30 am and starting at 1:00 pm. The placement information deadline for domestic students is August 19, 2013.
PLEASE NOTE: There will be no placement on the following dates:
Monday, May 27
Thursday, July 4
Monday, September 2 (Labor Day, the day before classes begin.)
Domestic freshmen must take their on-campus placements at least one business day (Monday through Friday) before their orientation date.
Domestic transfer students may take their on-campus placements the morning of their orientation date starting at 9:30am. However, it is strongly recommended that placements are taken earlier because space is limited.
Read more about Preparing for Placement.
Remote Placement for New Students
(only for new students. All remote COMPASS scheduling must be reserved through Columbia's Learing Studio by calling: 312.369.8130)
April 1-August 12. The placement information deadline for domestic students is August 19, 2013. Students that have not completed Remote COMPASS by Monday, August 12, may take On-Campus placement.
- Please note these additional important Remote Placement dates:
- The final day for freshmen to schedule a remote placement is Monday, August 5.
- The final day for freshmen to complete a remote placement is Monday, August 12.
- The final day for students participating in Transfer Orientation to schedule a remote COMPASS is Monday, June 10.
- The final day for students participating in Transfer Orientation to complete a remote COMPASS is Monday, June 17.
Read more about Remote Placement.
Students should carefully read all information by clicking on the relevant links below: