10 Starter Questions
Athleen Stere, Associate Professor of Biology, Penn State Altoona identified ten questions that could help facilitate an effective advising sessions. These questions have been republished here with her permission. Please note that some of them, however, have been edited and/or changed to better reflect the needs and interests of students at Columbia College Chicago.
1. What do you hope to do with your life?
2. Why did you choose to come to Columbia College Chicago?
3. What major or majors are you considering?
4. Why are you considering this major?
- Are you doing it to simply to prepare for a career?
- Do you really like that area of study?
- Do you think it will lead to a high paying job or prestigious job?
5. Are there any special situations that we need to consider in planning your educational program? For example, do you have a job? Are you responsible for your family? Do you have a disability? Do you have military obligations?
6. What questions do you have about:
- Columbia College Chicago
- Your major
7. Where will you be living? What kinds of outside activities do you like? (For example, sports, music, theater, student government, literary)
8. Are you aware of the resources available to you? (Tutoring, counseling, career planning, study abroad)
9. What, if anything, worries you about your college career? Or do you have concerns about adjusting to life at Columbia College?
10. How can I as your advisor help you most?
- Columbia or Departmental policies
- Career Guidance
- Problems—personal, academic
- Other Information