How To Apply
When applying to the INTERDISCIPLINARY ARTS MA program, you will need to submit the following:
- ONLINE APPLICATION, with application fee.
- SELF-ASSESSMENT ESSAY: Within your self-assessment essay, include specific mention of your professional goals (arts administration, the book and paper arts, performance, personal development, or the incorporation of media into your own art form - be specific).
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (Note that recommenders are notified via email once the online application process has begun.)
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from any and all colleges/universities attended
- WORK SAMPLE: Please submit a work sample representative of your expertise in the arts or arts education. (Please do NOT submit commercial work). This might include images, video, music or written documents.
Work Sample Submission Method: You may upload up to 25 work sample files to our online portfolio submission portal at columgrad.slideroom.com.* For best image quality and faster uploads, your image and video files should be sized to fit within 1024 x 768 pixels. Permitted file type and size limits are:
> IMAGES: jpg, .png, .gif — 5 MB per file maximum
> VIDEO: .mov, .wmv, .flv — 60 MB per file maximum
> MUSIC: .mp3 - 30 MB per file maximum
> WRITTEN DOCS: .pdf — 10 MB per file maximum
Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting work. For technical assistance, SlideRoom Support. Please direct any other questions about work samples to the Graduate Office at 312-369-7260.
*SlideRoom charges users a $10 transaction fee. By using SlideRoom, applicants avoid the expense of copying and mailing their work samples and avoid the risk of corrupted files, lost mail, broken discs, or cross-platform issues. Additionally, applicants can rest assured that the Graduate Committee on Admissions will experience their portfolio exactly how they intended.
PLEASE NOTE: Geographic circumstances permitting, an interview may be required during the admission process. If an interview is required, the department will contact the student directly. The applicant may present a portfolio during the interview (in addition to the work sample).
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS must submit all of the above materials, as well as an official TOEFL score and a credential evaluation. Additional documents are required of admitted students. Please visit our International Students page for more information.