Congratulations once again on your acceptance to Columbia College Chicago! We are looking forward to seeing you on campus soon. As an international student, there are a number of steps you will need to complete before you start classes at Columbia in September. This is an overview and you may have already received this by email. You will be receiving a detailed email about each step in the coming months.
Overview of your next steps:
- Submit all documents to email@example.com by June 7th so that we can issue your I-20. Required documents vary by student, so please visit: colum.edu/Admissions/Apply/international. It takes 2-3 weeks to process your documents and prepare your I-20. The earlier you can submit your documents, the sooner we can send out your I-20. Additional information on how to get an I-20 and student visa is below.
- Officially confirm your wish to enroll in Columbia College for Fall Semester 2013 by paying a $250.00 tuition deposit. You can pay online at colum.edu/admit. The earlier you confirm, the sooner you can sign-up for New Student Fall Orientation. Pay your tuition deposit by no later than July 7th.
- Sign-up (RSVP) online for New Student Fall Orientation. Orientation will be your first introduction to Columbia—providing you with more details about your major, support services on campus, and preparing you with the information you will need to successfully register for your fall semester classes. Once you have confirmed your enrollment, you will receive an invitation by email as early the next week explaining the online orientation process. When you sign-up for Orientation, you will select a date to participate in Orientation. Not all students are able to attend Orientation/Registration in person, so we have created a "Distance Orientation/Registration" option that can be completed from home, online. Please make sure that you select this Distance Orientation if you are not in the Chicago area. During Distance Orientation you will be able to talk to a college advisor who can answer any questions you have about registering for classes.
- Complete Orientation and register for classes. Orientation starts as early as June 24th and ends August 1st—the date(s) available to you will depend on your chosen major and whether you will be entering the college as a freshman or transfer student. Distance Orientation is self-directed and takes about 3 hours to complete. The sooner you complete orientation, the sooner you may register for classes—classes fill up quickly. You must complete orientation and register for classes by no later than August 1st.
- Read digital packet about International Student Welcome Program (ISWP). ISWP is a mandatory program (August 12 - August 21) specifically designed to guide new international students in their transition to college in Chicago and to provide the best preparation for success at Columbia. We will send detailed information about the ISWP to you in late June. Please Note: You are required to stay in on-campus housing during the ISWP—August 12 - August 20—and housing and meals cost $600.
- Complete and submit all necessary forms in your ISWP packet, including your housing payment by July 22nd.
- Arrive on campus for move-in and the start of ISWP on August 12th. We will send you information specific to your arrival in Chicago closer to your move-in date.
It’s a lot to accomplish in the next few months, but we are here to help you. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +1 312.369.7130.
We can’t wait to meet you this August!