Go to Content
Columbia College Chicago
College Advising Center FAQ
Print this PageEmail this Page

College Advising Center FAQ

When can I add or drop courses?

Current semester add, drop, and withdrawal schedules are available on the Records Office site.

International Students MUST be enrolled for a minimum of 12 undergraduate (or 9 graduate credit hours) in the fall and spring semesters in order to maintain their lawful immigration status. Dropping below the minimum number of credits would be a violation of status which could result in the student losing his/her immigration status "instantly". An international student who wants to drop or withdraw from a course that would take him/her below the required minimum MUST first contact the Office of International Student Affairs at intladmissions@colum.edu, 312-369-7205, BEFORE processing the drop/withdrawal.

Return to Questions   

What are the building codes?

Your course schedule will show a code for the building your class is in and also the room number. For a list of the codes and a campus map, visit www.colum.edu/Academics/class-locations.php   
How do I know what textbooks to buy?   
Your student schedule on Oasis will list the textbooks for each class before the start of the semester. You can also check the syllabus for your class to see which texts are required. The Columbia Bookstore is located on the 1st floor or 624 S. Michigan.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Get detailed information from Student Financial Services   

Where can I receive faculty advising?

Your faculty advisor can be found in the department of your major. Use the online phonebook for room and phone numbers. Some departments use online appointment scheduling. Check the Make Appointments tab of Oasis to see if your major department is listed.

Return to Questions   

What's the difference between my faculty advisor and my college advisor?

You have several individuals at Columbia College Chicago who want to assist you with your progress and success.  You must see your College Advisor in your first year, located in the College Advising Center. Your College Advisor will assist you with navigating the college, choosing and verifying your major, building your schedule, and understanding your graduation requirements. You must see your Faculty Advisor in your second year, located in your major’s Academic Department. Faculty Advisors will help you understand your major requirements and the current trends in your major’s professional industry.

Return to Questions   

Do I need an appointment?

The College Advising Center is an appointment driven office. For an appointment login to Oasis and select the Make Appointments tab. Click the College Advising Center Appointments link and you will see your assigned college advisor's schedule.

If you are switching majors or having trouble with the online appointment system, you can call 312 369 7645 or stop by our front desk in Suite 300, 623 S. Wabash. You don't even need to know who your college advisor is; you just need to be a current student.

If you feel that your situation is urgent you can still stop in without an appointment and we will help you.    

Return to Questions