Image and Implication
Critical Encounters: Image & Implication examines how images—visual, verbal and virtual—shape public perception and influence events and policy. Image & Implication challenges students to examine the impact of what they see, hear and read; produce arts and media that reflect and encourage civic engagement; and take action on issues of social importance.
- How are images manipulated to affect public opinion? Do people recognize that this is happening?
- What assumptions do we make about other people based on their images? What fuels those assumptions?
- How do our experiences affect our interpretation of images?
- When images desensitize us, how do we recapture empathy?
- What is visual literacy? Why does it matter?
- Can one image of anything be accurate and complete?
- What power do images have to educate and distort?
- What kinds of images foment action?
- What are our responsibilities as image-creators?
- How has the internet changed our control of images?
- What determines how people, institutions and events are portrayed?
- How do we deal with our inundation by images?