Ventra U-Pass Information
Ventra U-Pass Guidelines
- Only full-time students are eligible for a Ventra U-Pass. Undergraduates must be enrolled for 12 credit hours or more. Graduate students must be enrolled for 9 credit hours or more or enrolled in a thesis course.
- The U-Pass Fee is charged to the student’s account each semester along with the other tuition charges and fees. The fee for the fall and spring semesters is $132 per semester. The fee for the summer semester is $100.
- Your Ventra U-Pass provides unlimited rides on the CTA during your enrollment as a full-time student.
- Your Ventra U-Pass card is valid for five years. You do not need to obtain a new Ventra U-Pass card every semester. When you are enrolled full-time at Columbia College Chicago, your U-Pass privileges will be loaded onto your card automatically each semester.
- Disabled students and veterans who receive a free or reduced fare Ventra card from the CTA must provide a written waiver from the CTA to have their U-Pass Fee waived for the semester.
- For more information about the U-Pass program, visit the Ventra Customer Service website at www.transitchicago.com/upass
- Contact CTA Customer Service at 877-NOW-VENT/866-669-8368 for assistance with your Ventra U-Pass card
|Fall 2016 Dates
||Spring 2017 Dates
||Summer 2017 Dates
|Activated on: 9/1/2016
||Activated on: 1/18/2017
||Activated on: 5/17/2017
|Deactivated on: 12/22/2016
||Deactivated on: 5/18/2017
||Deactivated on: 8/17/2017
Using your Ventra U-Pass
- Before using your Ventra U-Pass, you need to activate your card. To activate your Ventra U-Pass, call 1-877-450-5328. The automated response system will ask for your name, oasis ID number and the Ventra Card number located on the back of the card.
- Register your Ventra card. Register your card at https://www.ventrachicago.com/register-account/
- Registering your Ventra Card provides online access to all the card’s benefits and provides security if your card is lost or stolen. If your card is lost or stolen, you are able to deactivate your card online; preventing others from using any Transit Account funds you may have on your card or creating a negative balance on your card.
- You may start using your Ventra U-Pass five days before the start of the semester in which you are enrolled full-time. If you use the card prior to the activation date, the card will be disabled. Please refer to the chart above that shows the start and end dates for each semester.
- In the event that your Ventra U-Pass is lost, stolen, or defective, follow the Ventra U-Pass replacement instructions below to request a replacement card. The fee to replace your Ventra U-Pass is $50. If you lose your card more than once, Ventra may revoke your Ventra U-Pass privileges.
- When tapping your card on the card reader, be sure it is separate from all other debit, credit, or bank cards. The new card readers allow for the use of smart cards so it can read and pull money from any smart card. It is important the reader is only reading your Ventra U-Pass.
How do I obtain my Ventra U-Pass?
Spring 2017 VentraU-Pass cards will be available for pick up for new students receiving a U-Pass for the first time on the following days and locations:
- Wednesday, January 18th 10AM-4PM at 1104 S Wabash Ave, 8th floor
- Thursday, January 19th 10AM-4PM at 1104 S Wabash Ave, 8th floor
- Friday, January 20th 10AM-4PM at 1104 Wabash Ave, 8th floor
- Beginning Monday, January 23rd, visit the Campus Card Office for all Ventra U-Pass services.
You must have a valid Campus Card (Student ID) to order or pick up your Ventra U-Pass.
- Only full-time students are eligible for a Ventra U-Pass. Full-time status is defined as 12 credit hours or more for undergraduates and 9 credit hours or more for graduate students or enrolled in a thesis course.
- New Freshmen Students who are registered full-time and are receiving a Ventra U-Pass card for the first time will need to order a Ventra U-Pass at one of the distribution locations and times referenced above. Ventra U-Pass orders submitted during the distribution dates will not be available for same day pick up and require a minimum of 7 business days for delivery to the Campus Card Office. Temporary passes will be provided to students when their Ventra U-Pass order is confirmed in person. This may take approximately 30-40 minutes depending on volume so please plan ahead. Students who register for full time after the U-Pass distribution dates should visit the Campus Card Office to order a Ventra U-Pass.
- Returning Students who already received a Ventra U-Pass during a prior semester and who registered full time for the spring 2017 semester will have their Ventra U-Pass benefit re-activated five days before the first date of the semester. See the semester start and end dates listed above. If you registered after the activation date, contact the Campus Card Office to confirm your full time status and your card activation. Allow a minimum of 3 business days for your card to be activated.
- Returning Students who have enrolled full time for the first time and are now eligible for a Ventra U-Pass must contact the Campus Card Office to confirm the status of your Ventra card order. New card orders require a minimum 7 business days for delivery.
- Transfer Students who received a Ventra U-Pass at their previous school must bring their Ventra card to the Campus Card office to have the U-Pass benefit transferred to Columbia College Chicago. Transfer students who have not received a Ventra U-Pass from a previous school should attend a U-Pass distribution event on one of the designated dates to order your Ventra U-Pass at Columbia College Chicago.
- If you drop below full-time enrollment during the add/drop period of the semester, the U-Pass Fee will be credited on your tuition account and you will not be eligible for the Ventra U-Pass, per the agreement between Columbia College and the CTA. An email will be sent to your Columbia email account notifying you of the deactivation. Please be sure you are prepared to cover your public transportation costs or make other transportation arrangements if you drop below full-time enrollment.
Negative Balance on your Ventra Card Transit Account
Students who used their Ventra U-Pass after the U-Pass fare was deactivated at the end of the semester, but did not add funds to the Transit Account on the card, may have a negative balance on their card. If you have a negative balance on your Ventra Card, your U-Pass fare will not be activated until the negative balance is resolved with Ventra.
Add full fare passes and transit value to your Ventra U-Pass:
- Use on the CTA when school is not in session or when you do not qualify as a full-time student
- Use on Pace year-round
- Your Ventra U-Pass is good for five years, and your transit account will stay active when you’re not in school
Lost or Stolen Ventra U-Pass:
- Call 1-877-NOW-VENTRA (1-877-669-8368) or login at https://www.ventrachicago.com/account/login to report your card as lost or stolen. Ventra will deactivate your card which will reduce the risk of a negative balance being created on your card by another person.
- Visit the Campus Card Office to request a new card
- A non-refundable $50 fee must be paid at Columbia College Chicago to receive a replacement Ventra U-Pass.
- To pay with a credit card, click here.
- To pay with cash, visit the cashier window, 600 South Michigan Ave 3rd Floor.
- Keep the receipt of the payment for your records.
- An email will be sent to your Columbia email account the following day confirming the receipt of the payment. The current Ventra Card will be deactivated and a new card will be ordered.
- Allow a minimum of 7 to 10 business days for your replacement card to be delivered to the Campus Card Office. You will be notified at your Columbia email account when your Ventra card is available for pick up at the campus card office.
Defective Ventra U-Pass:
If your Ventra U-Pass card is not working:
- Call the Ventra U-Pass activation phone number at 877-450-5328, press 0 to skip the automated message and speak to a Ventra agent. Ask the agent to confirm whether your Ventra Card has been activated. The Ventra agent will require your 16 digit Ventra Card number located on the back of the card, your name and Oasis ID. If your card has not been activated, the Ventra agent will activate it and you may use it immediately.
- You may also check your card status online if you have registered your card.
- If your card does not work after it has been activated, bring the card to the Ventra Customer Service Office, 567 W Lake St, Chicago, IL 60661 at the corner of Jefferson and Lake St. Hours: Monday – Friday 8AM to 4:30PM.
- Ventra will determine whether the card is defective on site. If the card is defective, Ventra will issue you a Defective Card form stating card is defective, issue a temporary pass and waive the $50 replacement fee.
- You must bring the Defective Card form to the Campus Card Office to request a new Ventra U-Pass card.
- Allow a minimum of 7 to 10 business days for delivery. You will be notified at your Columbia email account when your Ventra card is available for pick up at the Campus Card Office.