Ventra U-Pass Information
Below, you'll find some general information to help you become familiar with your new Ventra U-Pass.
- To activate your Ventra U-Pass, call 877-450-5328
- Ventra Customer Service website is www.transitchicago.com/upass, 877-NOW-VENT/866-669-8368
- Your Ventra U-Pass provides unlimited rides on the CTA during your enrollment as a full-time student
- You will no longer need to obtain a new Ventra U-Pass every semester
- As long as you’re enrolled full-time in school, your Ventra U-Pass privileges will be loaded onto your card automatically
IMPORTANT: Things to know about your Ventra U-Pass:
- Your Ventra U-Pass will remain your Ventra U-Pass as long as you are enrolled as a student. Make sure you do not lose it!
- If your Ventra U-Pass is lost or stolen, the fee to replace your Ventra U-Pass is $50. If you lose your card more than once, Ventra may revoke your Ventra U-Pass privileges. Again, hold onto that card!
- When tapping your card on the card reader, be sure it is separate from all other debit, credit, or bank cards. The new card readers allow for the use of smart cards so it can read and pull money from any smart card. It is important the reader is only reading your Ventra U-Pass.
How do I obtain my Ventra U-Pass?
The Spring U-Pass will be available for pick up for eligible students on the following days and locations:
- Wednesday, January 21st 9AM-5PM at 33 E Congress Pkwy
- Thursday, January 22th 9AM-5PM at 33 E Congress Pkwy
- Friday, January 23rd 9AM-5PM at 33 E Congress Pkwy
- Beginning Monday, January 26th visit the Campus Card Office for all Ventra U-Pass services.
You must have a valid Campus Card (Student ID) to order or pick up your Ventra U-Pass.
- Only full-time students are eligible for a Ventra U-Pass. Full-time status is defined as 12 credit hours or more for undergraduates and 9 credit hours or more for graduate students.
- New Freshmen Students who are registered full-time and are receiving a Ventra U-Pass card for the first time should attend one of the Ventra U-Pass distribution dates at the start of the semester to obtain a Ventra U-Pass. Students who registered for full time after the U-Pass distribution dates should visit the Campus Card Office to request a Ventra U-Pass.
- Continuing Students who already received a Ventra U-Pass during the prior school year and who registered full time for the spring semester by January 16, 2015 will have their Ventra U-Pass benefit re-activated and ready for use on January 21, 2015. If you registered after January 16th, contact the Campus Card Office to confirm your full time status and your card activation. Allow a minimum of 7 business days for your card to be activated.
- Continuing Students who have enrolled full time for the first time for the spring semester and are now eligible for a Ventra U-Pass must contact the Campus Card Office to confirm the status of your Ventra card order. New card orders require a minimum 7 business days for delivery.
- Transfer Students who received a Ventra U-Pass at their previous school do not need a new Ventra U-Pass. Please bring your Ventra card to the distribution site on one of the designated dates to have your Ventra U-Pass activated at Columbia College Chicago. Please allow a minimum of 7 business days for this change to your Ventra card profile to be completed.
- If you drop below full-time enrollment on or before Febuary 7, 2015 or completely withdraw from classes during the semester, you are not eligible for the Ventra U-Pass, per the agreement between Columbia College and the CTA. An email will be sent to your Loop email account notifying you of the deactivation. Please be sure you are prepared to cover your public transportation costs or make other transportation arrangements if you drop below full-time enrollment.
New students will need to order a Ventra U-Pass at one of the distribution locations and times referenced above. Ventra U-Pass orders submitted during the distribution dates will not be available for same day pick up and require a minimum of 7 business days for delivery to the Campus Card Office. Temporary passes will be provided to students when their Ventra U-Pass order is confirmed in person.
This may take approximately 30-40 minutes depending on volume so please plan ahead.
Using your Ventra U-Pass
- Before using your Ventra U-Pass you need to activate your card. To activate your Ventra U-Pass you can call 1-877-450-5328. The automated response system will ask for your name, oasis ID number and the Ventra Card number located on the back of the card.
- You can start using your Ventra U-Pass Thursday, August 28, 2014 (five days before the start of the fall semester). If you use the card prior to Wednesday, the card will be disabled. The fall Ventra U-Pass expires on Thursday, December 18, 2014 (five days after the end of the semester).
- In the event that your Ventra U-Pass is lost, stolen, or defective, follow the Ventra U-Pass replacement instructions below to request a replacement card.
|Activated on: 8/28/2014
||Activated on: 1/21/2015
||U-Pass Not Offered
|Deactivated on: 12/18/2014
||Deactivated on: 5/21/2015
||U-Pass Not Offered
Negative Balance on your Ventra Card Transit Account
Students who used their Ventra U-Pass after the U-Pass fare was deactivated at the end of the fall semester, but did not add funds to the Transit Account on the card, may have a negative balance on their card. If you have a negative balance on your Ventra Card, your U-Pass fare will not be activated until the negative balance is resolved with Ventra.
To check your card balance, click this link: https://www.ventrachicago.com/balance/
Ventra Customer Service website is www.transitchicago.com/upass, 877-NOW-VENTRA/866-669-8368
Lost or Stolen Ventra U-Pass:
- Call 1-877-NOW-VENTRA (1-877-669-8368) or login at https://www.ventrachicago.com/account/login to report your card as lost or stolen. Ventra will deactivate your card which will reduce the risk of a negative balance being created on your card by another person.
- Visit the Campus Card Office to request a new card
- A nonrefundable $50 fee must be paid to receive a replacement Ventra U-Pass.
- Bring the receipt to the Campus Card Office. When you pay the U-Pass Replacement Fee online or at the cashier but do not notify the Campus Card office that you have paid, your U-Pass replacement order will not be completed until you contact the Campus Card Office either in person or by phone. Submitting a payment does not automatically initiate a new card order.
- Allow a minimum of 7 business days for delivery. You will be notified at your Columbia Loop email account when your Ventra card is available for pick up at the campus card office.
Defective Ventra U-Pass:
If your Ventra U-Pass card is not working:
- Call the Ventra U-Pass activation phone number at 877-450-5328, press 0 to skip the automated message and speak to a Ventra agent. Ask the agent to confirm whether your Ventra Card has been activated. The Ventra agent will require your 16 digit Ventra Card number located on the back of the card, your name and Oasis ID. If your card has not been activated, the Ventra agent will activate it and you may use it immediately.
- If you card does not work after it has been activated, bring the card to the Ventra Customer Service Office, 165 North Jefferson, at the corner of Jefferson and Lake St. Hours: Monday – Friday 8AM to 4:30PM.
- Ventra will determine whether the card is defective on site. If the card is defective, Ventra will issue a Defective Card form to you stating card is defective, issue a temporary pass and waive the $50 replacement fee.
- You must bring the Defective Card form to the Campus Card Office to request a new Ventra U-Pass card.
- Allow a minimum 7 business days for delivery. You will be notified at your Columbia Loop email account when your Ventra card is available for pick up at the campus card office.
Add full fare passes and transit value to your Ventra U-Pass:
- Use on the CTA when school is not in session or when you do not qualify as a full-time student
- Use on Pace year-round
- Your Ventra U-Pass is good for five years, and your transit account will stay active when you’re not in school
Ventra U-Pass FAQs
Click here for Ventra U-Pass FAQs